Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

DuraTrax IntelliPeak Ice

Old 10-15-2004, 03:24 PM
mustangous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DuraTrax IntelliPeak Ice

Been looking into a new charger and the DuraTrax IntelliPeak Ice seems very interesting. Wondering is anyone heard anything about this charger. Next choice is the Triton but ill never charge more than 10 cell packs let alone 24. Wondering if there has been issues with this charger. I had not found any reviews.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:38 PM
voodoo_chicken1

Default RE: DuraTrax IntelliPeak Ice

I saw this charger at the chicago hobby show today. wow is it nice. 8 amp charge even for lipos. only one output though. i played with it for a good 15 minutes. it is very easy to use and even shows graphs and charts. it cannot charge lead batteries. they have info at the www.duratrax.com website. i can't find any pricing info.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:14 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

they should be about $129.00
Old 10-17-2004, 12:17 AM
mustangous

The only issue for me is that i am not sure 1C is enough charging amperage for the lipos. Yeah it should charge a 3 cell pack, but how long would it take to fully charge? I am really in between this Ice charger and the triton. I want to purchace one by monday though so i will have to make up my mind. They are both the same price too.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:33 AM
mustangous

Before i go further, does the 1C mean 1 amp???
Old 10-17-2004, 09:38 AM
voodoo_chicken1

1C is 1x the capacity of the battery reguardless of the chemistry. nicd can be charged at 2C while lipo and nimh must be charged @ 1C. example: charge rate for 730mah lipo or nimh = 0.73 amp charge or 300 mah nicd = .6 amp charge or 1320 mah lipo or nimh = 1.32 amp charge. Any more than 1C will damage a battery (i know this from experience as well). As far as time, it should take about 1 hour to fully charge a lipo.

This charger can charge a nimh or lipo that is 8000mah and a nimh up to 4000mah. Anything more will require additional time. If you don't need to charge lead batteries i'd go with the ice. most chargers, including the new hobbico elite, can only supply 1 to 1.5 amps to lipos, meaning anything over 1000 or 1500mah will require additional time. I use the hobbico mkII field charger because it has dual outputs but only puts out 1 amp charge for lipos yet 2 amps for nimh and nicd. So, the ice should pretty much be every electric hobbiest's dream as far as output. Astroflight's 109 lithium goes up to 8 amps but is lipo only. Any other high quality charger like the orbit micro lader (www.espritmodel.com) will cost $250-$330 and still put out 8 amps for lipos.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:20 PM
mustangous

Great!!! You cleared a hole lot up for me. That was my only issue with the ICE charger. I thought that it could only charge lipo's at 1 amp. But that is perfect, 1x the capacity. Well i am gonna put the order in tonight through towerhobbies and ill let ya know how i like it.

The last expensive charge i bought was long long time again and it was the tekin bc210. I just got back in the hobby and i am using a megatech to get my by.
thanks for the info..
Old 10-17-2004, 05:29 PM
lwien

ORIGINAL: voodoo_chicken1

nicd can be charged at 2C while lipo and nimh must be charged @ 1C. example: charge rate for 730mah lipo or nimh = 0.73 amp charge or 300 mah nicd = .6 amp charge or 1320 mah lipo or nimh = 1.32 amp charge. Any more than 1C will damage a battery (i know this from experience as well). As far as time, it should take about 1 hour to fully charge a lipo.
Agree with 1C on Lipo's but 1.5C on NiMh is perfectly acceptable............
Old 10-17-2004, 09:10 PM
mustangous

I didnt realize that this charge isnt out yet. Duh!! I was hoping to get this some so i can start charing my new Gp 1100's for my mini-t. The only charger I to charge them with is a cheap Megatech. But it is adjustable from 1, 2, and 4 amp. So ill have it give it a try.