Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD 12V POWER SUPPLIES

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD 12V POWER SUPPLIES

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 03:14 PM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD 12V POWER SUPPLIES

I am looking for some suggestions on a good 12V power supply, to run multiple chargers.

Thanks,

Wood
Old 10-19-2004, 03:36 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD 12V POWER SUPPLIES

Do you know how many total amps you need. If it's about 10 then one of those cosel power supplies are just 25 dollars shipped . They are from someone on e-bay selling.

Any larger than that I can't comment on.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:28 PM
Mike01

Radio Shack has a switching 25amp power supply that's about the size of a small closed laptop computer and is very light. It costs 100 bucks.

I have one, and I love it. I run two chargers and a Novak smart tray off of it.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:35 PM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

I want to run a supernova 250, and one triton, at a minimum.

I am looking at the radio shack unit, looks nice, it will be a b-day present.

I also have a damaged 12V DC 250 amp unit from a camper, know anyone who can fix it?

Thanks,
Wood
Old 10-19-2004, 06:05 PM
guver

WOW a 250 amp. that'll run lots a chargers. The triton needs about 10 amps (the book says 13) I looked at the supernova charger manaul and can't seem to figure out what the power requirement is. I did notice the very strikingly similarities between it and the triton though.

looks like a good charger. I think if I was getting into high amp power supply then I would consider the piramyd line of power supplies and then if I was gouing to charge li-pos with it then I would go into the mastech or other digital power supplies. Others may disagree, but I think they are the best for chargeing a li-po.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Pyramid regulated gets my vote. Mine has both a cigarette lighter plug and the regular banana one. Way cheaper than the Radio Shack one.
I also have the Cosel and while its a good unit its a switching supply and does not have an on/off switch. You could get both for less than the Radio Shack.
i charge lipos and dont see that the power supply makes any difference as long as it is clean power and delivers enough voltage and amps. i even use a 3amp radio shack one on my Triton and its fine as long as you stay at less than its output. Not a problem fast charging on rc car batteries either.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:45 PM
guver

sounds good, I was refering to chargeing a li-po without a charger, just with a cc/cv ps

They are still expensive, but I just get mezmorized by looking at digital things....
Old 10-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Maxime

I have a pyramid 20 amps switching poer supply, works great and it's quite compact. I paid it 89$ Candian money.

http://www.pyramidcaraudio.com/itemp...p?model=PSV200
Old 10-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

I vote for Pyramid as well, no fans, cheap and nice interface (power switch and banana plugs) SHOP AROUND though, list on the 12 amp supply is like 93 bucks, I got it for less than 40 by using google! huge differences in price, look around awhile and be rewarded!
Old 10-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

The Pyramid Supply is reliable and inexpensive. Buy one that is rated for continuous use at twice the current you need. The manufacturers tech notes say it will deliver 55% of the continuous rating for extended periods. If you go too small the thermal shut-down will kick it off in the middle of charging. It can be very frustrating.

It doesn't cost that much to go double and be sure.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:33 PM
smokingcrater

my vote is for the cosel, great industrial performance and cheap! as others mentioned, how much do you need? the triton will take up to 10 amps, but do you charge that much? personally my triton has never seen over 3 or 4 amps output.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:36 PM
marcelg

Why don't use your PC power suply to make that job? nothing to buy, is what i use.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:08 PM
Mike01

The Triton only needs 10 or more amps for charging 24 cells at 5 amps. A power supply puts out about 13.8 volts. A 24 cell battery (assuming 1.2 volts per cell) is 28.8 volts. To charge such a battery, the charger would need to produce a significantly higher votlage....since the power supply can't supply it, it takes more amps at 13.8 volts and turns it into less amps and more volts.

At least I think that's how it works.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:54 PM
ropermike2002
My Feedback: (1)

I built one from a computer power supply but I have thought about buying a 12 volt booster pack from wallmart. Would be portable and comes with meter, just plug it in at night to keep it charged. I could even mount my Triton on it with a couple of screws. I checked wallmart website and they had one for about 30 bucks.