Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Question about converting PC power supply?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Question about converting PC power supply?

Old 10-20-2004, 10:07 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about converting PC power supply?

Hello all,

I have done several searches in rcu about pc power supplies and got the necessary information from these threads but I have a question that I could not find an answer for.

I had found an old pc pwer supply 12V 8A and it has push type swicth on a cable.

from http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm

I believe it is the newer AT style power supply as it has push type switch. The board has 94 writing on it.

Now when I tunn it on the fan works and Ithe yellow and black measure 11.19V and the red and black measures 5.24V.

I tested it with two different multimeters and my question is this normal?

Should it be exactly 12V or a little off like I have. Also the fan works but it looks like it does not blow air like the newer fans in my other pcs. So could this pwer supply be bad?

Also tried connecting orange with red but it did not make any difference.

Thanks for any help,
Old 10-20-2004, 10:42 PM
ropermike2002
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Question about converting PC power supply?

You have got a good power source. Just take a couple of of the red wires and twist them together and a couple of black wires and twist them together and connect them to a 12 volt automotive bulb. Best to use a double element bulb or maybe even two regular bulbs. The bulb will burn dim but it will cause the converter to boost the voltage up above 12 volts! Dont ask me why but it works. I converted one just like the one youre talking about about three weeks ago and it works great!
Old 10-20-2004, 10:46 PM
DrFun

The red in my case is 5V should I use that one or yellow which is 12V on the bulb?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:03 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to put some sort of a load on the 5 volt output to get the 12 volt output up to 12 volts.

It's the way the switching regulator works.

I use a 10 watt resistor. Others use a 12 volt light bulb.

Potato, potahto....
Old 10-21-2004, 08:47 AM
ropermike2002
My Feedback: (1)

The 5 volts will light the bulb but not very bright. I took a license plate lamp that you stick in your rear bumper, you can buy at any auto part store and took the single element out and replaced it with a double element bulb. (Brakelight, running light) I soldered the two terminals at the bottom of the bulb together so both would burn in the single bulb receptical. Connected two red wires to the + side and two black wires to the ground on the lamp. I cut a hole in the power supply and mounted the license plate lamp sticking out on the top side and then mounted the power supply on the wall next to my chargers. Now when I walk into my workroom and see the light burning, Im reminded that I cycled a battery pack the night before. Also this helps me remember to turn off the power supply when Im not charging somthing.......
Old 10-21-2004, 09:03 AM
DrFun

Thanks for your help.

I will take a trip to radio shack tonight.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:55 PM
DrFun

ropermike tahnks for the help,

I got some bulbs from Radio Shack but they did not work good the output was 11.6V, then had a double element brake light laying arround and it just put it to 12.07V, I soldered two elements paralel.

Now it is working like champ, charging two lipos with hobicco MKII.

Thanks for the help,