Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Voltage of battery packs - I am confused - why so high?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Voltage of battery packs - I am confused - why so high?

Old 10-23-2004, 08:43 AM
cmate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage of battery packs - I am confused - why so high?

Ok, I have several battery packs, and two good voltmeters...

3 of my packs are your standard 6 cell type that you use in RC Cars, or in my case my roto-start...

Recently I decided to get a peak charger (dynamite peak 2), to make sure I am correctly charging my packs.

So I measured the voltage on them.
They all read over 8 volts on both meters!! I think it was like 8.6!
Shouldnt 6 cells times 1.2 = 7.2v??

I even tried dis-charging one of them down to 6 volts, then let it peak charge (charger was on the 6 cell setting), and it again reads way up there at 8.somethign volts!

Oh, these are all NICDs.

Then I have a couple 5 cell NIMH packs. So these should be like 5 * 1.2 = 6v right ??
At least thats what it says on the package...
They read more like 7+ volts!

I even have a set of 8 rayovac nimh 15 minute rechargable AA's, they say 1.2v on them...
When I stick all 8 in my JR radio that has a voltage readout on it, it reads out like over 11 volts when they are first charged!
Should be like 9.6 right??

Soooo WHY are these voltages so high? Should I be concerned??
Old 10-23-2004, 10:18 AM
kadet
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Voltage of battery packs - I am confused - why so high?

When you fully charge a 1.2 volt cell, it will read as high as about 1.4 volts. So 11.0 v on your TX readout is normal. If you are not reading about 1.4 volts per cell after charging, something is wrong. A 4.8 v pack should measure about 5.6 volts fully charged. A 5 cell 6 volt pack should read about 8 volts fully charged. The reason is that the the 1.2 volt labeling on the cell is the nominal voltage, not the peak voltage.

This is the Battery Clinic moderator and I approve this answer. [sm=thumbup.gif]