Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Duralite Plus batteries

Old 08-16-2002, 12:08 AM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duralite Plus batteries

The new Duralites Plus have a quick charger (4-6 hours)
so this means that charging at the field is out of the
question.

If this is the case, on a plane with 10 digital servos
and one RX, how many 15-minute flights can one get on
say a 2800 mA battery? And if I used two would I just
get twice as much?

Not sure if anyone has bought these yet, but they say
that a 2-amp load is required to adequately tell the
charge on the battery, but it appears that Duralite only
sells a 1-amp load tester on their website. What am I
missing?

Thanks
Craig
Old 08-16-2002, 05:06 PM
tgladney

I have the original duralites but I have not gotten the new ones yet. A buddy has order this but they are having an issue right now and made him return them. His new ones will be ready in about 10 days.

As for the run time. I don't run digital but on high torque high speed you should get around 8 to 10 flights. Most people run 2 baterries and 2 recievers. Adding another battery the right way will just give you longer run time. You may want to consider going with 3600mah battery. It is only 10.00 dollars more and 1oz. heavier.

As for the tester. They sell both 1 and 2 amp testers. 1 amp is enough to test the batteries and they will tell you that when you call them.
Old 08-24-2002, 07:28 PM
Aero330LX
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Duralite Plus Packs

In reply to you question about field charging...
The benifit of using the Plus Packs is so you won't have to field charge. If you are running 10 digitals you need two recievers to split the load. Not because of the batteries but simply so the Rx. lands will not get hot. Also for safety. With split redundant system, 10 servos, 2- 2800's and a 1900 for IGN (I assume this is a GS Gas Aircraft) I can promise you that you will will go dead, long before the batteries do. hehehe I have flown the originals from 8am until dark 11 full flights and some playing and the batteries still had flights left on them. I recharged at the house and went back out the next day. I have never had an instance where any more charge was needed at the field, and i don't push batteries...I stop wayyyy early and haven't never *had* to stop before... even with the wide magin I allow. Even in the summer the days are not as long as these batteries can go.The new Plus packs have even more capacity and energy density. I have seen them fly in a freinds plane already that flies Unlimited and so far they don't seem to ever run down. As for the load that needs to be applied... You're not missing anything, they told you correct...1 amp is all you need. 2 amp was used at first but it was found that 1 amp is sufficient. The website simply hasn't been changed. At PerformanceProd the batteries come first and the customers...website would be a secondary concern. A phone call will to Emory will prove that. The most important thing i can offer to you is this...Read up on these batteries...follow the instructions and suggestions that are sent with them to the letter, and forget anything you learned previously about other battery technology. These are Li-Ions and they are different. It's like comparing a trainer to an Extra 300. The Duralite Plus packs are the "330".
Old 08-24-2002, 07:37 PM
woodscra

You give excellent praise to these batteries. Do these batteries have a limited lifespane and limited number of charges?

Do these batteries ever need to be cycled?
Thanks
Craig
Old 08-24-2002, 08:18 PM
Aero330LX

Default Flight Cycle Life and "Cycling"

These batteries do not need to be cycled. There is no "memory", and by simply measuring loaded voltage you can "see" what the pack is doing. Because these batteries stay within the "plateau" you never get to the dreaded dropoff. In fact the servos will always see 6.0v from first flight to last assuming you run the 6v regulator. The cutoff voltage levels are conservative so that the user will not run into problems...now, let me say this here...that does not mean push them or run them below the recommended cutoff...do not. The cycle life is expected to be around 500-1000 charge cycles. This is expected through what testing has shown and what the mnaufacturer of the cells suggests. What this means for us is a life expectancy of 5500-11,000 flights!!! If I ever fly one of these planes that many flights, I will start the Tim Durbin museum of "survivor" aircraft! LOL I've sold most of my planes long before that point. The others fly occasionally but mostly sit here at the shop because they have a "emotional" attachment.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:29 PM
woodscra

A couple of more as I consider using these batteries:
Have you ever had any issues, dead cells, bad packs, anything at all?

Would (2) 1900s be fine in a GS 33% plane? That is still 3800 mah.

If the batteries are only partially used on a particular flying day, say only 5 flights. Will the charger just peak the batteries again without over-charging? I am curious if the batteries must be run-down to a point before charging them again.

Thanks
Craig
Old 08-25-2002, 11:04 PM
Aero330LX

Hi Craig,
I just received the new Li-Ion cells about 2 weeks or so ago. They act pretty much the same way the LiMNO2 cells did with a few differences that I posted earlier. I have not had any cell problems with previous Duralites or the Plus packs. As for the 1900's you may want to contact Emory about those. Most I know are using the 2800's and there are many variables depending on the number of servos, digi or non-digi servos, current demand, whether the load is being split using dual Rx.'s, ect... I think it best that you explain your specific setup with Emory and go from there. With partial use the charger will only put back what the battery needs to achieve a full charge. By doing so, you will not have any ill affects of memory or any of that stuff. Overcharge is not a problem as the charger terminates the charge at maximum. I think you'll like these should you decide on them. In fact, I just got back from the field a little bit ago. Went out about 3:30 and flew 4 flights and came home early...didn't even hardly put a dent in them. If you are trying to conserve weight by using the 1900's there really is no need...the difference in weight between the 1900 and 2800 is negligible. If you trying to save a little that i understand, but as I said, please talk to Emory. Like any battery, they must be used properly, and checked continuously. It's the only way one knows the battery is safe to fly.
Old 08-27-2002, 07:46 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Flight Cycle Life and "Cycling"

Originally posted by Aero330LX
The cycle life is expected to be around 500-1000 charge cycles. This is expected through what testing has shown and what the mnaufacturer of the cells suggests. What this means for us is a life expectancy of 5500-11,000 flights!!!

This is roughly what was claimed of original Duralites, myself like many others found their numbers to be out to lunch with packs dying far sooner than they claimed they would have. Cycle life was determined at a certain load, increase the load and decrease the numbers of cycles the batteries can see.

I was a sponsored Duralite user and really liked them while they worked, but I only gain 1 oz using the correct size Nicad and the system is waaaaay simpler than the new Duralites would need (no regulator), plus more new chargers, extra leads to charge through blah blah blah......pretty tough to beat the Nicad.

This time around I am planning on letting others be the guinea pigs
Old 10-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Aero330LX

Default RE: Duralite Plus batteries

Guess what? I was not a sponsored user of the original Duralites and I am still using some of them. I have used them in models where I have flown them down well below the original specs and still charged them...and there was ABSOLUTELY NO accelerated wear. Sounds like you didn't charge them properly and/or you may have an axe to grind as Emory is no longer sponsoring you. BTW, has anyone told you there is no sponsorship any longer. It's called support and they don't just give you free stuff because they love you....they 'help you out' because you are literally on their advertising department. Next time learn that or you'll end up the same way you are now. Bad mouthing good products, and without any supporters. Yor claims of out to lunch are as bogus as you are. I happen to be one of the ones who tested these packs and they do exactly what they were claimed to do as long as the user didn't abuse them or charge them incorrectly. You sir, put my name on this and drawed me out here and the statement that you posted was absolutely incorrect. I am not the only one to have the same results...in fact there were many who knew what they were doing have these batteries last for years and who still do like me. For those out there who may be wondering, there are Masters level pilots who STILL have these bateries and the failure rate of the cells through 10,000 units was less than .07 percent. Those are real numbers, not slams calimed by somebody with an axe to grind. Posts like this is why I don't normally reply to this forum any longer...because the mods allow people to act like children and slam products and not do a damn thing about it. I WILL reply though in an attempt to get rid of alot of the BS that is spread on this forum!
Old 10-07-2003, 08:47 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Duralite Plus Packs

ORIGINAL: Aero330LX

In reply to you question about field charging...
If you are running 10 digitals you need two recievers to split the load. Not because of the batteries but simply so the Rx. lands will not get hot.
Just a technical correction.

With 10 digital servos, you do not need to run two receivers. Both Futaba and Jr have stated that you can easily run all digital servos on all channels on their receivers. Only if you start to exceed the number the of servos in relation to the number of channels on a given receiver do you need to think about using dual receivers, or using a matchbox with the separate battery for servos and receiver. Basically, a JR 10 channel receiver will handle 10-12 digital servos just fine. Same with Futaba. So, if you need 10 or 12 digital servos, use a 9 or 10 channel receiver, and not a 4, 5 or 6 channel receiver, and you would have a very good margin of safety.

As an aside, there were a few tests done where they ran 20 amps across a receiver (Futaba 9ch I believe) for a couple minutes with no ill effects. Much more than our receivers would even see in short peaks during a flight. Nothing burnt up, nothing got hot, everything worked.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

2 Recievers from what I researched and was told by many who used them are just more connections (56) and 2 the chance of failure. 1 reciever gives you more range then a 2 reciever set-up.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Ive got the Plus packs and charger. No memory no false peaks and plentyyyyy run time.
I went to these after seeing what my battery voltage was doing IN flight with one of the inflight recorders.
Every time I made a turn (gentle) The voltage sagged on 2 2000mah packs to around 3.8V from a fully charged 5.2v.
Granted I could have gone to 6v packs but as that involved buying more packs I decided to go to the lithiums.
No more sags.
As to cycles I agree the plane probably will die first.
I did find Emory extremely helpfull ,even tho I wasnt buying a whole lot, to the extent of calling me at home to discuss some issues.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:56 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Flight Cycle Life and "Cycling"

The cycle life is expected to be around 500-1000 charge cycles. This is expected through what testing has shown and what the mnaufacturer of the cells suggests. What this means for us is a life expectancy of 5500-11,000 flights!!!

There is absolutely no way you'll ever see anything even remotely close to 5000 cycles with these cells, END OF STORY...

Under ideal conditions the manufacturer suggests 500-1000 cycles... Problem is everyone is blowing there horn on how they can go all weekend and get 20 flights, this is exactly what will cause these cells to deteriorate much faster than designed... The Li-Ion OEM cell manufacturer's clearly suggest best performance and life will be achieved with minimal discharge and charging them frequently...
Old 10-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Hey Mike, I think you misunderstood or read the post wrong. He stated 500-1000 cycles like you said but said 5,500-11,000 flights
Old 10-12-2003, 11:32 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Steve

Thanks. I did make a mistake, BUT I meant 5000 flights... Not 5000 cycles...