Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Starter Battery Source

Old 01-19-2005, 04:26 PM
jabowil-RCU
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Battery Source

I would like to have a 6 volt battery to wire in series with my 12 volt battery to obtain 18 volt at the starter. Can someone recommend a source for a small 6 volt battery?

TIA
Old 01-19-2005, 04:57 PM
The PIPE

Default RE: Starter Battery Source

Dear Jabowil-RCU:

The PIPE here yet AGAIN...and my dependable battery source at http://www.tnrtechnical.com/default.asp ...where I get ALL the NiMH cells I use to make up my own battery packs for my radio gear...has nearly TWO DOZEN different six volt sealed lead-acid batteries for you to choose from...in amp-hour capacities from 0.5 to 36 amp-hours!

There's GOT to be a battery in their lineup for sealed lead-acid cells there, for this special need you've got... the direct link for the sealed lead-acid page IS at http://www.tnrtechnical.com/Anonymou...edleadacid.htm ...hope you find what you need there!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:26 PM
smokingcrater

check your local battery places if you have one, MUCH cheaper then shipping a lead acid. (lots of 6v batts are used in computer UPS's...) make sure you find a similar amp rating for the 6v to keep it in a similar state of charge with the other batt, don't want to reverse polarity on the 6...
Old 01-19-2005, 08:08 PM
vicar

Another alternative is to use two Nicad packs like the ones used for RC Cars. They are 7.2 volts each and you can find them for under $10 a pack. I bought mine a year or so ago at a Radio Shack store. If you wire them together you end up with 14.4 volts , enough to move most 12 v starters with authority. I use this set up to move a Kavan starter that can start a 1.20 4s engine without hesitation.