Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Save Millions Today!!

Old 12-23-2001, 06:06 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save Millions Today!!

Well, not really millions...

Seeing as I usually "roll my own" battery packs, I used to tape them up, not too cool. Then I graduated to buying heat-shrink at our local electronics store...wow!! Over $2.00 a foot, even buying quantity!

However, I have found an alternative, that is cheap! One of our milk suppliers, has pints in plastic containers, that have a heat-shrink wrapper around them...so, I did a little experimenting. By crushing the bottle, you can take the wrapper off, in one piece.

Then, just slip it over your pack, and use the same technique that you would Monokote to shrink it.

It shrinks rapidly, and unevenly, so pay close attention, but once shrunk, is nice and tight!

I have enclosed a picture...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	285_636.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1034  
Old 12-23-2001, 07:26 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Battery stuff

RC, what brand of cells do you use, I've considered doing this myself. I use SR batteries mostly and have had a perfect record with them.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:57 AM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Save Millions Today!!

Nice color blue too.
I looked around my area nothing comes close, I'll keep looking, it's a good idea..
Old 12-24-2001, 08:40 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I wonder....

I wonder if the wrapper's from Pepsi, or Coke, the 20oz. variety would work? Great Idea rcav8r!!!
Just in time for me too, I have a few 5 cell packs to set-up for my Midwest Extra. Thanks
Old 12-24-2001, 04:12 PM
rcav8or
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: I wonder....

Originally posted by DGrant
I wonder if the wrapper's from Pepsi, or Coke, the 20oz. variety would work?
Don't think they are the same animal...every one of the pop ones I have seen have been wrapped and glued. They might shrink a little, but getting them off is next to impossible, and then you wouldn't be able to stick them together, unless you had a "Seal-a-Meal"..

This is open to you all, if you really need one or two, you can send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I will send you one or two....I have a fairly ready supply at work. I would prefer you look around at your store, and if they aren't available where you live, you can get some from me. You can make two out of each sleeve.

Please use the following email - it is different from the forums email - and I will send you my address...it'll help me keep this organized...

Click to email for sleeves here:
Heat Shrink Sleeves

Oh yeah, no guarantee as to color - white milk, chocolate milk, or orange juice...

Before I forget, Best of Holidays to All!!
Old 12-27-2001, 12:34 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default Re: Battery stuff

Originally posted by hobbsy
RC, what brand of cells do you use, I've considered doing this myself. I use SR batteries mostly and have had a perfect record with them.
You should have good results. They are well assembled packs using Sanyo cells.