Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Keeping a motorcycle battery charged >

Keeping a motorcycle battery charged

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Keeping a motorcycle battery charged

Old 12-27-2001, 04:20 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping a motorcycle battery charged

I would like to know how others keep their 12v batteries charged. I bought a charger that supposedly went to trickle charge after fully charging the battery and you could leave it plugged in all the time. What happened was that the battery always needed water and, after one season, died the following winter. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:19 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default Re: Keeping a motorcycle battery charged

Originally posted by scale buff
I would like to know how others keep their 12v batteries charged. I bought a charger that supposedly went to trickle charge after fully charging the battery and you could leave it plugged in all the time. What happened was that the battery always needed water and, after one season, died the following winter. Any tips would be appreciated.
If this is a wet motorcycle battery you will have to charge it at approximately 500MA any more will boil the fluid in the battery, seeing as you have to add water this is what is happening. A car battery charger won't work unless you hook up a full size car battery in parallel with the Motorcycle battery. The chargers for the sealed 12V batteries work well, Usually a 24 hour charge is all they need but not after every day of flying.

Another way to do it is get a cigar lighter adapter and charge it while you are driving - it won't over charge this way
Old 12-27-2001, 05:28 PM

You are correct in trying to keep any lead acid battery charged. I think the problem is that your charger states one thing but does another.

My Alpha 4 had a lead acid charge / maintain mode. It charges to a certain voltage and they drops into what it calls a float charge. I would guess that it is similar to a trickle charge.

If you do a search on google.com for this kind of information, you will get back a ton of hits, just filter through that.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:01 AM
My Feedback: (81)

Default smart charge

go to the local wal mart they have this thing called a smart charger, basically for trolling motors on bass boats I have never had a problem with it and it is plugged in all the time
Old 12-28-2001, 04:34 AM
My Feedback: (10)

I used a SuperNova 250s charger on my 12 volt starter battery this summer. I charged it about once a week. Works fine so far.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:34 AM

I just use my old sealed dry cell charger. I hook it up for overnight once every two weeks and it works fine. I had to add water once this year but it sits in my garage that gets up to 118 degrees in the summer.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:44 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default PB CHARGER

I have a couple of 12v gel cells and have been charging them with my 10amp car battery charger. You need to use a 12volt taillight bulb in series to cut the current rate down. When the battery is fully charged the light stops glowing. Works for me.
I have been charging one of these batteries for almost two years this way and it still takes a full charge and gives me plenty of capaicty to run my field charger, fuel pump and starter motor even at a three day contest. I recently recieved an FMA Supernova and plan to use that at the field if needed.
Old 01-19-2002, 04:14 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default One other option

I use a 1.25amp charger called the BatteryTinder I think. You can leave your battery connected for months without any problems. It has a feature that removes Sulfur from the battery plates using a frequency pusle charge that actually extends the life of your 12 volt batteries. I paid 40 dollars for it.....if you email me I can send you the address where I bought it online. Great charger.