Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery safety

Old 12-26-2001, 05:36 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery safety

After all this charging business is said and done, the best way to protect that aircraft is to run two redundant battery packs. I run two battery packs each to a different on/off switch and then each switch to a different location in my receiver. I put a diode between each switch and the receiver which will not allow one pack to short out or drain the other. I use 6V packs which send 6.2volts to the receiver on a full battery charge allowing for the 0.7 volts drop caused by the diode. My procedure at the field is to turn on one switch and operate all controls, turn that switch off, turn the other on and again operate all controls. I then turn the first switch back on, now operating my aircraft on two separate and redundant power sources. If you don't forget to turn on both switches your chances of losing an aircraft on account of a switch failure or battery pack failure are pretty slip.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:48 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Battery safety

Originally posted by Fighterpilot
After all this charging business is said and done, the best way to protect that aircraft is to run two redundant battery packs. I run two battery packs each to a different on/off switch and then each switch to a different location in my receiver. I put a diode between each switch and the receiver which will not allow one pack to short out or drain the other. I use 6V packs which send 6.2volts to the receiver on a full battery charge allowing for the 0.7 volts drop caused by the diode. My procedure at the field is to turn on one switch and operate all controls, turn that switch off, turn the other on and again operate all controls. I then turn the first switch back on, now operating my aircraft on two separate and redundant power sources. If you don't forget to turn on both switches your chances of losing an aircraft on account of a switch failure or battery pack failure are pretty slip.
For an in depth discussion on parallel operation check the article at the Battery Clinic. Diodes are not really required and do add more failure modes to the system plus and extra cell to the pack to make up for the voltage loss.