Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Storing planes in the cold.

Old 01-01-2002, 01:34 AM
magnum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing planes in the cold.

Red,

I am working on my workshop now, but it is a long way from being fully insulated and therefore gets cold during the night and day except when I am there to fire up the heaters (kerosene).

I need to move my planes in there(I can't get to my Bowflex). It never gets to the freezing point, but close to it. Will this hurt my batteries or for that matter the electronics storing them in there.

Since I still fly in the winter, to keep them charged how long should I have the trickle stay on, should it be longer due to the cold?
Old 01-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

It won't hurt your batteries a bit keeping them in the cold (above freezing). No trickle required unless you want to keep them ready to fly at an instants notice. If you fast charge you should let them come back to room temperature. Slow charge at 32 F and above is no problem.
Old 01-02-2002, 09:47 PM
magnum

Thanks,

I do plan on hooking up a trickle charger. Probably a timer of some sort.

Thanks,

Randy
Old 01-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

A trickle charge is fine, as long as you use the right kind. The simplest and most effective is simply an appliance timer, 1 hour on per day with your charger plugged into it. Make sure however that there is no back flow of current when the charger is not connected to the AC power.