Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Accu-Cycle elite max.charge rate

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Accu-Cycle elite max.charge rate

Old 06-07-2005, 10:16 AM
JET-A
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accu-Cycle elite max.charge rate

I have a question,, I read that the accu-cycle elite will charge up to 2.0 amps max on each output at the same time,, how is this
accomplished with an input supply of only 2.5 amps....

rick
Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Accu-Cycle elite max.charge rate

You'd need a bigger power supply or a field battery.

ORIGINAL: JET-A

I have a question,, I read that the accu-cycle elite will charge up to 2.0 amps max on each output at the same time,, how is this

rick
Old 06-07-2005, 11:41 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

The stock power supply is 2.5 x 14.5 volts = 36 watts.

the charger itself can support about 50 watts maybe. maybe even up to 36 per channel. It is like Joe says a larger power supply is neccessary or a 12 volt battery for input.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

as mentioned.... with the stock power supply it can't put out 2a per channel at the same time... Mine stock power supply is up on a shelf somewhere..
I converted a PC power supply for home use and a field battery for ...well.....field use. both have the output to mantain 2a per channel at the same time...
Old 06-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

THe unit can charge two packs easily at 2.0 amps if the pack is a 5 cell pack or smaller.
I have done this several times so I know this works.
To achieve this, they would have to have the circuits in series to allow the 18volt 2.5 amp power supply to do its job.
It is my personal opinion that this is where the problem lies with the unit not being able to charge two packs with a shared ground. Instead of having two independent circuits, they stack them in series and use a higher voltage (18V) to get the job done.
This is an assumption and is probably wrong, but does explain a lot of issues I have had with the Elite charger.

TO restate fact, you can use the supplied charger to charge two 5 cell packs.

ORIGINAL: JET-A

rick
Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

forgot about that.... my bad,,,i just don't have any smaller packs that I would fast charge... good info
Old 06-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Geistware

No problem.
What I don't get is how you can charge two transmitter packs. They have to step up the voltage to over 25 volts and then use the current to charge. The concept and software is great and works great for any and all applications with the exception of Giants scale with switches that have redundant contacts.
ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

forgot about that.... my bad,,,i just don't have any smaller packs that I would fast charge... good info
Old 06-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

I'd sure hate to peak charge two battery packs in a series. It's almost certain to overcharge one pack while leaving the other at less than peak. I doubt that's the way it is designed, but if it is, I wouldn't charge my packs with it.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Geistware

It will work if you have a voltage devided as a current source.
WHat you have to do is have the unit sink the set current. So if you have the first pack at 1 amp and the second pack at 2 amps, you have to be able to shunt 1 additional amp to the second circuit and monitor the voltage on each pack to charge. I have tried to run two packs with shared grounds before and I always fried channel two regardless of which channel I started first.
ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

I'd sure hate to peak charge two battery packs in a series. It's almost certain to overcharge one pack while leaving the other at less than peak. I doubt that's the way it is designed, but if it is, I wouldn't charge my packs with it.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Geistware

It is my personal opinion that this is where the problem lies with the unit not being able to charge two packs with a shared ground. Instead of having two independent circuits, they stack them in series and use a higher voltage (18V) to get the job done.
This is an assumption and is probably wrong, but does explain a lot of issues I have had with the Elite charger.
The Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite's two outputs are not in series with each other. They actually are in parallel, but there is circuitry between the negative battery connectors and the charger's internal gound. If two battery packs have a shared ground, you can wind up with a current flow between the two negative battery connectors on the charger which would result in one side having current flow through it in the wrong direction, which can damage the unit.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

The current in a series circuit is constant throughout the circuit. When you charge a battery pack, you have cells in a series, but they were discharged in a series, too. The state of charge in each cell is relatively equal.

But, when you charge two seperate battery packs in a series, they were not discharged at an equal rate, except in the rarest of coincidences. You would have to have this coincidence, plus cells of the same capacity in each pack, or you will overcharge one, and undercharge the other.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Geistware

Thanks for the feedback Bill.
Has a request been sent to Japan to address this issue?
If no, would a tech notice be appropriate?
I am glad to see that this issue is acknowledge, Thank you.
ORIGINAL: Bax

The Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite's two outputs are not in series with each other. They actually are in parallel, but there is circuitry between the negative battery connectors and the charger's internal gound. If two battery packs have a shared ground, you can wind up with a current flow between the two negative battery connectors on the charger which would result in one side having current flow through it in the wrong direction, which can damage the unit.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:21 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I still can't figure out why I can charge more power on less input voltage.

It must have something to do w/ the voltage drop when the second pack is started.

I am chargeing 2 x 10 cell packs and the stock power supply still maintains a higher input voltage than my larger power supply, yet it charges at less amperage.