Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

1.5 Volt Gell Cell

Old 06-07-2005, 11:30 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1.5 Volt Gell Cell

I fly 1/2A and only need a battery for the glow plug. Instead of buying Lantern batteries, is there a rechargable one out there, one thats the same size? I dont really want to make one out of single cells, like a nicad pack. Just want to have a nice self-contained rechargable unit.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
tom czenthe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1.5 Volt Gell Cell

I used a 1.5v gel a little larger than a D cell.........now I use a 3000Mah Nicad sub C cell and it works better.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:47 PM
The PIPE

Dear Jetpack:

The PIPE Here...and what Tom Czenthe mentioned here previously was a NiCad or NiMH cell (which DOES work fine for glow plugs)...as gel cells are LEAD ACID batteries, and have a TWO VOLT level of voltage per cell !

If you're still planning on using a 2 volt single cell "gell-cell-type" of lead acid battery for glow plug ignition, one great source for 2 volt Hawker Energy batteries that you CAN use for glow plug ignition is at http://www.tnrtechnical.com/ ...click ON the Hawker Energy item on the start page, select "2 volt" on the following page's left hand menu, and you'll see they've got 2 volt cells in amp/hours ratings from 2.5 to twenty-five !!! I use the 5 amp-hr "X" size cell for igniting the OS Type F plugs for my four strokers...as ALL I fly with are four stroke engines!

To DROP the voltage to JUST the right level for glow plug usage, I use a GERMANIUM power transistor junction...in the germanium power transistors from NTE, at http://www.nteinc.com/Web_pgs/Germanium.html ...the No. 27 transistor (info on it is at http://www.nteinc.com/specs/10to99/pdf/nte27.pdf ) is the one I use...to drop the 2 volt output of the lead acid battery to a safe level.

I just hook up the positive terminal of the Hawker battery to the emitter of that "PNP bipolar" No. 27 germanium power transistor I've specified, and the base lead of the transistor and the negative battery terminal get hooked up to the glow plug connector.

For a charger, if you had an FMA SuperNova charger, its 2 volt lead acid charging capability would work perfectly...you could also adapt one of those "wall-wart" type of chargers for that duty, and just use a power resistor that would drop the charging voltage across it to a C-10th rate, with its value based on the battery capacity you're charging, and the output voltage of the "wall-wart" charger you'd be customizing, for charging up the Hawker 2 volt battery.

So...if you still DO want to use a lead acid "gell-cell" battery, there's all the tips you'd need...but a rechargeable NiCad or NiMH single cell SHOULD also work just fine for your needs.

Hope this helped...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you insist on using a gell cell you can get 2 volt glow plugs from Fox in the USA and, if in Europe, I think they are more common. In fact all the original Norvels came with 2 volt plugs and didn't start easily at all when we tried to use NiCad cells as starter cells. However, if you try to use a gell cell on a normal plug, expect very short plug life, like maybe a second or two.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:40 PM
The PIPE

Dear Rodney:

The PIPE Here once again...and since I DID specify using a GERMANIUM power transistor "in-line", using its base-emitter junction to DROP the 2 volt output of a lead-acid single cell to 1.5 volts, I'm NOT blowing out those very expensive OS Type F plugs !!!

The "German-ium Secret Glowplug Weapon" setup that I designed in the early 1980s, which uses an NTE No. 27 germanium power transistor in it with its Hawker Energy 2 volt cell, has been a TRULY dependable glow plug power source...and I even added an analog meter to it to let me know the glow plug's condition, AND if I've got a good hookup to the plug.

My "G-S-G-W" unit is something I've got NO excuse taking some photos of one day very soon...now that I've got an Olympus C-770 digital camera...look for photos of it, here at RCU, by this weekend !!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Pipe, no argument here, did not mean to imply any error in your comments as they are right on, just informing those who might not use the diode what may happen should they rely on the gell cell only.