Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Nicads: Dead or near dead?

Old 06-12-2005, 05:15 AM
jasonhyland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nicads: Dead or near dead?

Hi,

I've had my models hanging in my garage for almost 5 years. A lot of people have told me to throw my old nicads before restarting the hobby, but I wondered if this was really necessary? What are the problems - is it simply that when they go flat, they do so very quickly? Is there any way to tell the condition of a flight pack? I'm loathed to throw away £25 JR Nicads that only had 4 months use from new, even if they are 5 years. Having said that, I know it would be a false economy to see a model dich because of a battery fault.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheerds, Jason
Old 06-12-2005, 06:25 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Nicads: Dead or near dead?

First measure the open circuit votage. If it greater than 1 volt/cell then proceed with the following. Give them a few cycles of slow charge and discharge cycles. If they show normal capacity thne chage again and let stand for 72 hours, then discharge. If you get 80% of the capacity you got before, then you can use them. Keep a close eye on them, checking capacity frequently.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:01 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get new Sanyo NiCd for much less nowadays. 5 years is a pretty long time, even if you have stored and maintained them well. I usually discard my packs when it drops to 80% cap, or 2 years, whichever comes first. I would say that it's not worth risking your planes (and people) which are probably worth significantly more than the batt pack. Just my 2C.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:30 AM
jasonhyland

Red, thanks for the advice.

I have to say I'm inclined to replace them, but I would like to know how to measure there health in future.I'm a novice when it comes to this I'm afraid. You said to measure the open circuit voltage. I have a simple multimeter - do you mean measure the voltage output when fully charged? I have a 4 cell pack, so shoud I see 4v?

Thanks again, Jason.