Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

4 or 6 volt ?

Old 01-04-2002, 02:47 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 or 6 volt ?

I am thinking of getting a new airborne battery pack for the up-coming season. I just fly sport YS91 size aircraft. Should I switch to a 6-volt pack instead of 4.8? What are the advantages “and” disadvantages? I am more interested in reliability and durability than tweaking the lowest millisecond servo transition time. I have been swapping out 500 mAh packs at the field. I am thinking of going 1200 mAh and possibly switching to Hydrimax. All comments welcomed. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:36 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default 4 or 6 volt ?

If that is what your interested, stick w/ 4.8. All 6v is going to do for you
is increase complexity and lower reliability but give you slightly faster servo times and lower battery run times.

And if you decide to go NiMH, I'd recommend going w/ Sanyo's vs. Hydramax.
Old 01-04-2002, 03:39 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Default 4 or 6 volt ?

Can't comment on the voltage thing as I am only on my first plane at the moment. I was given a used radio and needed new batteries. I put 1650 NiMh in the xmit and plane.

If you want to stick with NiCd, 1100's are available

Bought mine here:
http://www.radicalrc.com
Old 01-04-2002, 04:57 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default hydrimax?

What you think is wrong with hydrimax? I have a 2000 miliamp pack in my 1/4 scale cap and i love it. You just cant be stupid and fast charge it. The packs are small light and last forever on a charge. my 2000 pack equals the wieght of a 600 nicad from futaba and it will last MUCH longer.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:10 PM

Default 4 or 6 volt

Here's the story. With 4 volt you get all you need for small systems. Volts ----time etc. With 6 volts, you get more power in your servos AND speed plus same time....FLY & HAVE FUN ..JIM
Old 01-06-2002, 03:24 AM

Default 4 or 6 volt ?

Thanks guys for all the good info.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:28 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default some insurance too

Also with 6 volts you get some insurance in case one cell goes bad...

Edgar
Old 01-09-2002, 04:05 PM

Default Re: some insurance too

Any what makes you think that??

IF you have a rope going from A to B and someone cuts a peace in the middle out..its not going to B anymore is it

Originally posted by guaraguao
Also with 6 volts you get some insurance in case one cell goes bad...

Edgar
Old 01-09-2002, 11:19 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I'm not expert, but..

Well, I guess it depends on the failure mode. But since the receiver /servos works with 4.8V system, if one cell goes bad (e.g. short) then you still have 4 cell providing current.

If it's an open, then you are out of luck (in both 4.8 and 6 volts )

Edgar
Old 01-10-2002, 05:26 AM

Default 4 or 6 volt ?

As your looking for reliability and durability I would stay with 4.8 volts but increase your capacity size. Besides adding one more battery to a 600 ma pack will reduce your running time.

I had a 6 cell pack and it would run my Tigre Moth electric for 35 minutes. I added another cell and it reduced my run time by 10 minutes. That's not what you want.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong guys, if you run higher voltage through standard servos you run a greater change of failure.

As I say my 2¢
Old 01-10-2002, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 or 6 volt ?

Now a days, the servo manufactures are rating and giving you specifications based upon 6v. If you need a bump in servo speed and torque, replacing your battery with a 5 cell pack is the way to go.

Remember that when you deliver increased voltage to the servos you increase the power (ma) to the servos...hence shorter battery life. Of course you can always go up in ma and get the same flight time.

As far as reliability, you're right in saying that higher voltage can = earlier failure. That is just as true between a three cell pack and a four cell pack. In fact if you would just put in a 1.2 volt battery you would have the the greatest servo life and the best reliability.

Servo manufactures give you specs on their servos at 6 v. so I'm sure it's safe and reliable. The question you need to ask is what is more important to you
Weight & battery life = 4.8 v.
Speed & Power = 6.0 v.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default 4.8 vs 6 volts

4 vs 5 cells for receiver packs

· 4 cells cost less
· 4 cells are more reliable than 5 (more parts/connections = less reliability)
· 4 cells give you longer flying time than 5 cells of equal capacity
· 4 cells are lighter
· 4 cells put less stress on radio and servo components (unless regulator is employed)

· 5 cells give you faster servo response
· 5 cells allow for voltage regulation to give you constant servo response.
· 5 cells give you a margin of safety if one cell shorts (but this is a rare occurrence in flight - if you don't do an ESV check before you start flying, then you deserve what you get.)

Usually same charger that comes with your radio system will accommodate both 4 and 5 cells, for 5 cells the charge may take slightly longer. A standard Futaba Charger will charge 5 cells at about 40 mA, whereas it charges a 4 cell pack at 55 mA. For 5 cells charge 20% longer.

All present day radio systems seem to accommodate 5 cell receiver packs without problems.

From Futaba FAQ page:

Question: Can I use 6v (5 cell) receiver packs with my Futaba receiver/servos?

Answer: All Futaba systems are designed to operate on either 4.8 volts (NiCD 4 cells) or 6 volts (Alkaline 4 cells OR NiCD 5 cells). Some manufacturer's systems are not designed for and do not operate well on 6 volt, but Futaba equipment handles the increased power input and provides increased performance, speed and torque (but decreased run time) on 5-cell NiCD packs.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:19 AM
Banned

Default 4.8 or 6v

Stay with the 600mah and get a Sirius pro charger...simple
You don't need a 6v unless you intend to fly like airplanes aren't supposed to fly.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:40 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default 5cell Sanyo Nicad

Av8tor,
I use 5 cells in my F-4 -but it has 14 servos and 75 ft. of servo ext. -no reg. is needed.I use JR10sxii radio.I can get 20- 10min. flights on 1 charge.no way I will use just 4cells in this airplane-6 servos are 8411's and they draw a lot of current.

Jackjet
Old 01-15-2002, 04:33 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Default 6 or 4.8

Well I think most are forgetting Ohms law..ExI=watts
E=voltage and I=current so..6v. x.600Ma=3.6watts of power
4.8 x .600=2.88 wwatts of power..
i think most understand this..6volts is fine but I would stay with 4.8 and just get a bigger Ma size battery..Less troubles with parts..Not only that when u got ur batterys fully charged they are around 5+ volts almost 6volts..
This is my 2cents..
Old 01-18-2002, 03:04 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Default 4 or 6 volt ?

People in the RC world will give you all kind of advice and its up to the asking party to interpret this info and make a wise decision . This can be really hard when we dwell into and area unknown to us . But i have learned the key to making wise decisions, take all the advise with a grain of salt.
But its all good, were all her to learn and aquire advise in this hobby that we all love so dearly.
Most recievers were made to accept up to 7.2 volts, and yes using a 5 cell pack will give you more torque and speed but at a slight cost(TIME). I was told 850mah would give about the same run time as a 4.8v 600mah pack. So i would go with an 1100 mah pack at 6v. Trouble ? no way with sport models ,but check out the TOC guys, they all use 1800plus duralite packs in redundant circuits no problem. Also going to 2/3 sub c will insure that no high peak currents will temporarily short your pack.This info was from futaba and hitec techies.