Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Is my battery pack toast????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 12:32 PM
mikehiggy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my battery pack toast????

New RC'er question: I just bought a used TC3 that came with a set of 3000 mah batteries. I put the pack on the charger and the readout siad it was only charging a 1.2 -1.5 amps, even though it was set at 3.0 amps. Within a 5 minutes the charger said the pack was charged. I put it in the car, the steering servo worked fine, but as soon as I applied throttle, the ESC powered up then stopped responding with in 1 second. Motor did not turn over at all. I put it on the charger again, and I got the same result.

What is the problem? Is the pack dead??? Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:38 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Is my battery pack toast????

which charger?

have you tried cycling the battery...

discharge at c/5, then slow charge at c/10 to approx 125% of capacity (takes overnight at least)
Old 10-19-2005, 12:54 PM
mikehiggy

It's a fairly basic Duratrax Digital charger for both Nicd & Nimh. What is cycling? how do I do it?

I even hooked the battery directly to the motor (I'm sure this is a no no) and the motor didn't budge.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First - you need to get some information on how these batteries work so that you're not in the dark. A great site written by a guy who has spent his life developing these cells is Red's Battery Clinic. www.rcbatteryclinic.com Good stuff

Second - you'll need a DVM - digital volt meter. Measuring the pack voltage can tell you if it is completely flat or if the problem is elsewhere. Radio Shack has some decent ones for less than $30.00
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=22%2D813

Third - a battery is a device whose output is measured in mAh or milli (1/1000) amp hours. Your 3300 mAh pack is capable of delivering 3.3 amps or 3300 mA for one hour or 330 mA for 10 hours roughly speaking. What I'm trying to say is there is a relationship between how much you draw in milliamps and time. This relationship also hold true for charging so if you only put in 1.5 amps for 5 minutes something is wrong.

Read up,
John
Old 10-20-2005, 02:00 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

sounds as if your charger is at fault and your batt and car are ok. It would be nice if you could find a close person or shop just top charge your batt for you once and then you would find ouit for sure.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:13 AM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: mikehiggy

New RC'er question: I just bought a used TC3 that came with a set of 3000 mah batteries. I put the pack on the charger and the readout siad it was only charging a 1.2 -1.5 amps, even though it was set at 3.0 amps. Within a 5 minutes the charger said the pack was charged. I put it in the car, the steering servo worked fine, but as soon as I applied throttle, the ESC powered up then stopped responding with in 1 second. Motor did not turn over at all. I put it on the charger again, and I got the same result.

What is the problem? Is the pack dead??? Please let me know your thoughts.
I think you most likely have a dead cell. Beg or borrow a voltmeter and check the voltage under load. If it is not close to what you would expect a pack of that number of cells to be (about 10 - 11 volts for an 8 cell pack) it's probably a dead soldier.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:22 AM
sparkling_fist

yeah u should get a voltmeter,...
always handy..