Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Great Planes new DC charger/cycler

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Great Planes new DC charger/cycler

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 03:48 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes new DC charger/cycler

Yes, it will charge up to 4 Li-Poly/ Li-Ion cells in series.

See specs at

http://www.electrifly.com/accys/gpmm3150.html

Instruction manual available at

http://www.electrifly.com/manuals/gpmm3150-manual.pdf
Old 11-22-2002, 05:56 PM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Question for the lucky owners:

Do you need to jump the diode before you can charge the Futaba transmitter using this charger?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2002, 06:41 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

The Trinity will charge with a diode in the circuit, but you cannot cycle the pack without a) bypassing the diode or 2) removing the pack and connecting directly to it.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:13 PM
cmassa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the FAQ at Futaba's website, the 9C can be discharged through the charge circuit.

http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c-q597.html

Chris
Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 PM
CO-Zman

Yes, my understanding a unique change to the 9C...nice touch to keep people from jumpering the diodes.

Rob
Old 11-24-2002, 05:37 PM
On Edge

Default Please help!

Can someone please help us novices here with battery specs?

It would be really nice if someone put all the specs. in one place, clear and concise for us battery/charging novices.

I'm looking for charge & discharge rates for fast charging and slow charging NiCd & NiMh battery packs. I just bought the Triton charger and really need some help. I'm sure others do as well. Would one of you battery geniuses please help us out?

Many thanks!
Jeff
Old 11-24-2002, 05:45 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Ni-Cd should be charged no faster than 4C - some will not take that much. Ni-MH no higher than 2C (although some charge faster than that). Unless you are really in a hurry you will get longer life out of the packs by charging at lower rates. Slow charge rate for both Ni-Cd and Ni-MH is as close as you can get to C/10. Discharge rates (to check to see if they make factory spec. capacity is C/5.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:47 PM
flatfour
My Feedback: (8)

Red , is there any issue using a peak detect charger at C/10 rates? I usually charge my 1650 NiMh packs at 200 or 300 ma
Old 11-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Not that I have encountered using SuperNova, Robbe Infinity 2, SuperTurbo or Alpha 4. Looking at Trinity now.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:28 PM
On Edge

Hi redscho,
Thanks for the info! What about the very first charge on a NiMh pack? 50ma?

Jeff
Old 11-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

C/10 is recommended or as close as you can get to it.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:09 PM
szastoupil

Originally posted by Scorch
1.5 inch diameter ferrite FT140-43 toroid core

Please help me locate these items.

This toroid is used for extra measure. You can purchase one from Amidon Associates . The "140" is the outer diameter of the toroid, which is a requirement base on your wire size and the number of turns needed. And the "43" is the mix of the powdered iron core, which correlates to the the frequency cutoff of the core itself. Basically it is a low pass filter. I am not sure what the frequency range of the 43 is off hand. If you have access to an ARRL Handbook, the appendix has the broad frequency ranges for each color of core. Keep your eyes peeled at the next hamfest that you attend a Yellow or Red core. The core added in the QST article is to attenuate the high frequency radiated emissions from the switching power supply so they don't end up as "birdies" in the ham radio. For the charger application, it probably isn't necessary, but I am not advocating unintentional radiators either. In this case you aren't worried about "birdies" in your battery charger. In the professional design world, we would worry about the emission levels affecting the receiver and affecting the battery charger micro controller. I hope this is enough info.

Scott
ARS KB0KFX
Old 11-26-2002, 03:48 AM
cmassa

Huh???

Originally posted by szastoupil

This toroid is used for extra measure. You can purchase one from Amidon Associates . The "140" is the outer diameter of the toroid, which is a requirement base on your wire size and the number of turns needed. And the "43" is the mix of the powdered iron core, which correlates to the the frequency cutoff of the core itself. Basically it is a low pass filter. I am not sure what the frequency range of the 43 is off hand. If you have access to an ARRL Handbook, the appendix has the broad frequency ranges for each color of core. Keep your eyes peeled at the next hamfest that you attend a Yellow or Red core. The core added in the QST article is to attenuate the high frequency radiated emissions from the switching power supply so they don't end up as "birdies" in the ham radio. For the charger application, it probably isn't necessary, but I am not advocating unintentional radiators either. In this case you aren't worried about "birdies" in your battery charger. In the professional design world, we would worry about the emission levels affecting the receiver and affecting the battery charger micro controller. I hope this is enough info.

Scott
ARS KB0KFX
Old 11-26-2002, 03:50 AM
cmassa

Sorry, too technical for me.

Chris
Old 11-26-2002, 02:12 PM
szastoupil

Originally posted by Chris Massa
Sorry, too technical for me.

Chris

That post was in regards to Scorch's difficulty to locate the FT140-43 toroid part to modify a computer power supply to use with the charger. The toroid is a powered iron doughnut about 1.4" round that is wrapped with the +12V wire. This is used to get rid of the radio noise/interference that is emitted from the power supply. You can see a similar application by looking at some computer monitor cords that have a little cylinder shape built into the cord. This is basically the same thing to help filter out the "radio garbage". Thats all. I hope that sheds a little light.

Scott
Old 11-26-2002, 02:37 PM
cmassa

Great, Thanks.

Chris
Old 11-26-2002, 04:44 PM
Scorch

Yes, very true. I originally read an article on converting a PC power supply to provide a 12v DC source for my mobile ham rig. I am now building the supply so I can use it for that and to run the Triton on the bench. I have all the parts, except the core, and will be doing the project over Thanksgiving. So far, the project is in the range of $30

It's fun, and it's cheaper than a high current PS from a retail source. And yes, pictures will follow.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:57 PM
Foxtrot_019

Ok so we know all the great things about the charger, so what isn't so great about it (besides the power supply)

-Foxtrot
Old 12-03-2002, 12:21 AM
Cougar-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default PC Power Supply

http://www.snowcrest.net/cougar/atx/MVC-896F.JPG
I just finished this. and its at 12.6 volts. Also with a
10W 7 ohm resister. , So now I am wondering if I should
put the second one in line? so how do a do that? your do I need to?> http://www.snowcrest.net/cougar/atx/MVC-895F.JPG
oh here's the rest of the pics. took me about 2 hours. New ATX 300W
http://www.snowcrest.net/cougar/atx/
Thanks For ALL the help Guys!
Sheesh I was going to buy a Sirus but now maybe a triton..

Jeff
Old 12-03-2002, 12:33 AM
Scorch

Originally posted by Foxtrot_019
OK so we know all the great things about the charger, so what isn't so great about it (besides the power supply)

-Foxtrot
Well, I have been playing with the Triton, and I have the following anecdotal "problems". I was glad to see the Triton has an "auto" function, but the instructions call out not using auto mode with anything smaller than AA cell packs and less than 600 mah capacity, so I have not tried to charge my 270 Mah PBF pack, because I WILL break it

It seems to work fine on standard rx packs. When I tried to charge my 8U tx, it just did not seem to charge the pack very well at all. Sorry for the lack of technical detail, I seem to be forever the novice.

I also tried to charge a plain 6 cell 1200 Mah car pack. In auto mode, it did not appear to detect that it was a six cell pack. During charge, it was putting out about 900mah, or so at about 4.87v. I was running it off my spiffy new ATX PC PS. So, "power" should not have been a problem. Earlier in this thread, there is a link to the instructions in pbf format for those that care to put their $0.02 in. I'm OK as long as I can use auto mode, but I am gun-shy of trying to dial it in manually, yet.

What has y'alls experience been so far?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:46 AM
Scorch

This is a shot of my finished ATX PC PS. Total cost, about $50 Half of that was the PS itself. I simply could not source one local/free. I had no choice but to buy it

This is the input/output from the PS This does not appear to chage, so I guess it works. Sorry, it's blurry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38837_6663.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	21629  
Old 12-03-2002, 12:49 AM
Cougar-RCU

Default Scorch

Thanks very much for the up-dates sir..
Jeff
Old 12-03-2002, 12:52 AM
Cougar-RCU

Default Scorch

What watts power supply did you use to start with?
and did you do the TWO resisters? I am wondering
if I need to add one more and a pic on how to.
Thanks
Jeff
Old 12-03-2002, 12:54 AM
Cougar-RCU

Default Scorch

And another Q's why the triton and not the sirus?
just wondering before I buy a charger.. Seems that
the Triton does the discharge as well? and the other
doesnt?
thanks agian
Jeff
Old 12-03-2002, 12:55 AM
Scorch

This is another photo of the PS itself. I thought it turned out pretty good. I used cigarette lighter connectors for power. That's what's on top, a female connector. I replaced the clips on the Triton with a male cigarette lighter plug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38838_6663.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	21630  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.