Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

best battery practices for racing

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

best battery practices for racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 03:32 PM
gerwen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best battery practices for racing

I'm new to micro stock carpet racing, and need some facts on getting the best performance i can. We are limited to 5 cell nimh or nicad.
Capacity isn't really a factor as i'm using around 350mah in a 6 minute heat, and the mains will never be longer than 10mins.

Do i cycle my batteries? Charge at high current or trickle charge? Should i go for NiCads over Nimh? How can i make a stock motor perform best on a tight track?

I've alot of conflicting information in a few different places, and come to this forum for the straight story.

Thanks,
Old 11-26-2005, 11:00 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: best battery practices for racing

Red's battery clinic. www.rcbatteryclinic.com/ will give you best practice's for long battery life and proper charging techniques. It will give you a bases for judging other information.

Like all forms of racing execution means more than mere components. By that I mean keeping detailed records of what you do so you can repeat setups. Being meticulous in setting gear clearances. Making sure to use the lowest practical resistance connection from the battery to the motor. Making sure the motor is properly broken in and timed. All these have much more of an effect on racing than the mere selection of batteries.

If it was up to me I'd select NiMh packs because the are lighter but only after making sure they had the lowest internal resistance cell in them that I could find. I'd also be very very sure to form charge them at C/10 or 1 tenth their rated capacity 35 mA for at least 3 cycles with a C/5 discharge. NiMh cells won't deliver good performance until they are form charged. You'll need a good constant current source like below.
http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...a471d43768ad23

Hope I've been of some help,
John