Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

newb question about charging battery with esc

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

newb question about charging battery with esc

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newb question about charging battery with esc

i'm putting together my first electric plane (EF YAK-55 SPe) and i have (2)TP 1320's (older battery) with the Hacker a20-22l and x-20 esc.

the instructions that came with the Hacker motor and ESC are completely worthless to me since i really don't know what i'm getting into and they don't give much information.

The batteries only have 2 leads coming out of them, i soldered Ultra Deans connectors to the battery and ESC.

What i want to know is, should i connect the battery to the ESC and connect the JR lead that is coming out of the ESC to my battery charger?

Is the ESC supposed to be invlolved during the charging process or should make up some kind of connector to go from the battery directly to the charger?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:34 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: newb question about charging battery with esc

NO! the battery should just be disconnected from the esc during charging. just make up a pigtail for whatever ends you need for your charger and battery.

Since you sound like a relative e flight newbie, I would suggest doing some research on lithium batteries also. one mis-step and they will go up in a ball of fire and noxious fumes. There are plenty of stories and pics on here whos vehicles &/or houses have burnt because of improper lithium battery charging techniques.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:22 PM
tukkus

thanx that's what i needed to know...i have the hobbico elite charger and when i'm ready i'll read the instructions before i charge
Old 11-27-2005, 03:50 PM
JNorton

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tukkus,
Please read what Smoking crater has written and take it to heart. LiPo batteries are not a normal rechargable cell by any means. Read all you can about them before you use them. I'm not trying to do anything except impress upon you that LiPo's need to be carefully charged and stored. Discharge them below 3.0 volts a cell and you will be buying a new pack. Discharge them with too much current drawn because you put on the wrong prop and you'll be buying a new pack. Don't follow the safety warnings and you might be buying a new house. Nuffff said.

john