Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

How much discharge for my Ni-Mh pack?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How much discharge for my Ni-Mh pack?

Old 12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
panzerd18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much discharge for my Ni-Mh pack?

I recently bought a 1.5m wingspan parkflyer which came with a Speed 540 motor and a 1800mah Ni-mh pack. The parkflyer was rubbish so I want to put the speed 540 motor and battery pack in my ModelTech Angle 1.6m Glider to electrify it.

I have decided on a folding 7.5 x 4 prop which will cause the motor to draw around 18amp, so the question is, could this Ni-mh discharge at around 18amps?

They are not standard AA Ni-mh but smaller in length but bigger in diameter. It is a 6 cell pack meaning its 7.2volts yes?

Thanks

Luke

Old 12-05-2005, 06:59 AM
panzerd18

Default RE: How much discharge for my Ni-Mh pack?

All I'm asking is can Ni-mh cells discharge at 10C? Because I have no idea I just wanted to know so I wouldnt even try and risk it. Would my speed controller die if my Ni-mh's died under 10C load?
Old 12-05-2005, 07:43 AM
panzerd18

Well after a few hours of trolling the internet I have found the my ni-mhs are not up to the task.

They are 4/5A's and should only be discharged around 5C. I need 10C for my electric engine prop combo. The battery pack was used with the speed 540 motor but the prop was very small which leads me to believe that the engine with that prop would be drawing below 5C.

At least I know about the different types of batteries and discharge rates. Good high discharge Ni-mh batteries are rated for 15C and can do 20C. Too bad I didn't get one of them.

Oh well 2C lipo here I come and will save weight too!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
GeraldRosebery
My Feedback: (14)

If you are going to trash the battery pack and invest in a 2S LiPo you may as well do the same thing to the overweight underpowered 540 motor and get a good outrunner brushless. You will NOT regret it.