Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Wall Wart Charger concerns

Old 01-17-2002, 02:00 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wall Wart Charger concerns

I was cycling my collection this evening and I wanted to test the output of my wall wart chargers. I have the factory chargers from my Airtronics and Hitec plus an aftermarker MPI wall charger. I put the leads from my DVM (no load just from the charger) and the voltages were all over the place. The Airtronics was the lowest at 4.4 volts, the Hitec was 6.7 volts and the MPI was the highest at 8.9 volts. These were all on the RX charger output. Is this a fare output reading or does it need to be taken while it is actually charging a battery? I am concerned with the 8.9 v because I want to charge a 1650 6 volt NiMH pack with it. It is 100 mA rated. With out sticking pins through the insulation I cannot get a probe on leads to test voltage during a charge.
Ask me about 5-Axis CNC machining but anything electrical and I am a mental midget. Another thing of confusion is that the the flight packs charged from the Airtronics charger test at 5.5v. Thanks
Old 01-17-2002, 02:16 AM
My Feedback: (8)

You need to measure voltage while actually charging the battery.
Most of these wall warts are just unregulated power supplies. They have been designed to push the rated current when connected to a battery.

You could also measure the current. Just get an extension and cut the positive lead. Set your meter to measure amps and connect it to the two cut ends.
Old 01-17-2002, 03:01 AM
My Feedback: (2)

The extension is a good idea. That would give you the mA output correct?
Old 01-17-2002, 03:08 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Yes the ammeter would show the ma's. Just remeber an ammeter is pretty close to a short circuit so don't place it directly across a battery or power supply. It has to be wired in series.