Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Can I charge motorcycle batteries with Triton?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Can I charge motorcycle batteries with Triton?

Old 01-04-2006, 04:04 PM
fhriley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I charge motorcycle batteries with Triton?

Are batteries on motorcycles lead acid batteries? Can I charge one with my Triton charger? The manual for my motorcycle gives information on what rates to charge the battery at, I just want to make sure it's safe to use my Triton on it.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can I charge motorcycle batteries with Triton?

Yes and yes. The choices are 6V and 12V. I've used both. For most sealed lead-acid (SLA) cells, a good charge current is C/5 (5-hour rate from fully discharged). So if it's a 4.5Ah battery, charge at 1.5A.

Duane Gall
RCPRO
Old 01-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

The Triton, like a number of other popular chargers we use in modeling, can be used for a multitude of charging task around the house. It may require making some adapters to match up with whatever you are charging. I never charge my drill battery packs on anything else. If it runs down in the middle of job the Triton will bring it back in the time it takes to take a coffee break or check your e-mail.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:50 PM
jimhlt

Red,

Maybe your Triton charger will fully charge a gel cell, but mine will not.

I took a new 7 ah battery and fully charged it with my Ace CVC charger. I then took out 3 amps with my Triton. I then set the Triton to charge at a 1ah rate. It put back in about 1 amp then then quit. It appears to charge to its cut off point where it should switch to a CVC type charge like it does for lithiums, but does not. It just quits. I then put in on my Supernova charger and it put the rest of the 2 amps back in the battery. I have read in several other threads about other peoples Triton's doing the same thing.

It works great for all other cell types, just no good for gel cells. My Triton is about 1 year old, after the initial upgrades for Lithium issues.

Your mileage may very,
Jim
Old 02-09-2006, 06:54 PM
kx250ryder

ORIGINAL: jimhlt
. . .My Triton is about 1 year old, after the initial upgrades for Lithium issues. . .
Stop right there, the Triton had li-po issues too? Then why did the Super Brain 969 Pro catch so much flak for that? Further, if the Triton has issues with lead acid, that makes my decision to go Super Brain 977 instead of Triton a while back seem even more logical. :spikes football and dances like goof:
Old 02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Triton just didn't charge fully. The Super Brain (dead) 969 had to be monitored by the user to stop the charge. If not the battery could explode. Just a slightly different scenario.

Right from their users manual.

"If you do not begin with a fully discharged battery, then you will have to
estimate the remaining capacity in the battery. "

I know you like your Super Brain 977 but the 969 was an entirely different animal.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23...n%2C969/tm.htm
John
Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 AM
kx250ryder

I know about that thread. Because of it, I directed alot of Super Brain owners on this forum and others to get their charger upgraded. Sorry JNorton, just trying to back the underdog. Devils advocate is one of my favorites to play. I appreciate you keeping the discussion civil.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:38 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem keping it civil. My Mama taught me manners a longggg time ago. Just for the record. I've had no problem charging my gel cells or motorcycle battery with my Triton.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:26 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,

You might want to poke around in the menu and see if there's a "max input" value set on the Triton. I know many folks (including myself) went through some head-scratching at first, charging Ni-MHs, because the Triton comes with a factory setting in the Ni-MH menu that stops the charge after 1000 mAh. Once you find and adjust that, everything is fine. Maybe there's a similar setting in the Pb menu ... just thinking out loud; I don't have it in front of me at the moment or I could confirm that for you. But it's worth exploring.