Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Individual cell balancing for LiPo?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Individual cell balancing for LiPo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Individual cell balancing for LiPo?

How important is the individual cell balancing for LiPo? I have an intellipeak charger which charges the cells in series but is more convinient. Then I also have one of the smaller E-flite chargers that charges the cells through the seperate charge clip (so each cell can be individually balanced) but it takes longer and is less convinient. Is it OK to use the intellipeak for typical use during the day and just balance them overnight or once a month or so? Or is that dangerous / will it shorten the life of the LiPos?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Individual cell balancing for LiPo?

Read the voltage of the individual cells to get your answer. They shouldn't be more than .2 to .3 volts different. If the cell is not used discharged below 80% capacity it should stay balanced.
John
Old 01-09-2006, 08:34 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Individual cell balancing for LiPo?

In a perfect world you would balance the pack with every charge. Common Sense R/C sells packs that have a parallel tap and a charger that allow this. Call them and they will hook you up. I found they answered the phone between 6 and 11 EST on the day I called.