Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Tapping a lipo

Old 02-07-2006, 12:35 PM
duaneh1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping a lipo

I bought an e-power 3s lipo with a balancing tap on it. It is some sort of 4 wire connector-I think its a male. Does anybody know what kind of connector I should get that would make it easy to check with a dvm and also to charge each cell individually? The contacts for each of the wires are so close together, I'm afraid to accidently short a cell when applying the probes of my dvm to it. Also the wire pattern is red/black/red/black. I am deducing that red/black is 1 cell, black/red is 2nd cell, and red/black is 3rd cell. Is that correct? Would I need to get 3 different connectors so the pin spacing is correct? I'm trying to figure out a good way to manually blalance a pack. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-07-2006, 04:18 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tapping a lipo

Everybody mother and son is making balancing tap connectors different. It's a real nightmare. There are no standards. What I would do is contact E-Power about purchasing the matching connector. Then it is a simple matter of connecting a voltmeter to the negative terminal of the pack and finding the voltage of each tap. Mark the leads and you'll be able to connect it to what ever balancer you've chosen to purchase, though you'll probably have to make up a set of jumpers to do it.
John
Old 02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
duaneh1

Ok, thanks. I wondering what would be a good connector to stick in the tap even if it doesen't match perfectly. I can't find that connector, bought the battery from helidirect and they don't have contact phone.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:04 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, how about going the other way and getting a matching connector to the balancer you plan on using.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:17 AM
azkeith

I have E-Power batts and I charge them with a ALIGN charger which is a 115V only charger. The E-power plugs right into the charger and you get a balanced charge every time. The charger or batt does not even get warm. Love it. I got both from Gerbers Hobby Corpus Christie TX.

I am also trying to find connectors, but I want to buy the same kind as on the E-power batt so I can buy other batts yet use the Align charger.

If you find any info my email is [email protected] pls let me know. Thank You
Keith
Old 02-08-2006, 09:50 AM
duaneh1

I may have to do that, but don't have a lot of wire to work with, also since the wires are live, could cause a short if I goof up.