Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hobbico Pro Series Power Supply Alert

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hobbico Pro Series Power Supply Alert

Old 02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Pro Series Power Supply Alert

Hobbico Pro Series Power supply (included with Accu Cycle charger)

The problem is that the power supply has no capacitors at all, just 4 diodes. It can toast some chargers .

First of all, the power supply says that it is DC 14.5V. They include it with their Accu Cycle charger that costs $150, so there are many thousands in the field. It has 2 banana plugs in the front, which makes it easy to connect to other chargers.

This power supply has the potential (no pun intended) to smoke a lot of good chargers if they don’t have a pretty husky capacitor on the power input.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17958.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	406306  
Old 02-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Lynn1953

Default RE: Hobbico Pro Series Power Supply Alert

Is this the one that comes with the "Elite"? I'm electronically challenged so what's the best fix?

thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2006, 05:19 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I am challenged also. What will happen? the voltage go up too high? I have measured over 17 volts on this ps.

Possibly you can tell me how the elite knows how big of a power supply it is being powered with also? It does not act like any other charger I have.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Elite must have a large electrolytic capacitor in the charger itself or its switching power supply is designed to work with pulsating DC.

The DC being supplied off this wall wart is 120 Hz rising from zero volts at the AC cross over to max at the peak of the AC waveform down to zero again at the crossover and repeating. The DC follows the AC waveform. This is not what most chargers on the market are designed to use. They are designed for pure DC which is why Red has issued this alert. Just use this wall wart only on the Elite and everything is fine. Don't attempt to use it on anything else.

Hope this post makes sense.
John
Old 02-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Lynn1953

So there is no problem unless I hook it up to another charger say such as the Hobbico field charger to supply 12 volts to it.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:38 AM
JNorton

No problem ONLY if you use it with the charger it came with. It could be a BIG problem if you use it with anything else.
John
Old 02-12-2006, 05:21 PM
guver

ORIGINAL: JNorton

The Elite must have a large electrolytic capacitor in the charger itself or its switching power supply is designed to work with pulsating DC.

The DC being supplied off this wall wart is 120 Hz rising from zero volts at the AC cross over to max at the peak of the AC waveform down to zero again at the crossover and repeating. The DC follows the AC waveform. This is not what most chargers on the market are designed to use. They are designed for pure DC which is why Red has issued this alert. Just use this wall wart only on the Elite and everything is fine. Don't attempt to use it on anything else.

Hope this post makes sense.
John

wow you lost me,,,,, Are you saying the voltage goes up and down? sorry for ignorance. I need electrik klass,,,,
Old 02-12-2006, 06:58 PM
JNorton

Yup it follows the AC waveform as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71981.gif
Views:	12
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	406987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52958.gif
Views:	13
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	406988  
Old 02-14-2006, 10:53 PM
The bird man

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Hobbico Pro Series Power supply (included with Accu Cycle charger)

The problem is that the power supply has no capacitors at all, just 4 diodes. It can toast some chargers .

First of all, the power supply says that it is DC 14.5V. They include it with their Accu Cycle charger that costs $150, so there are many thousands in the field. It has 2 banana plugs in the front, which makes it easy to connect to other chargers.

This power supply has the potential (no pun intended) to smoke a lot of good chargers if they don’t have a pretty husky capacitor on the power input.

OK Red, so whats the fix, or should we all toss the supply and buy a different one? I opened my PS for my Accu-cycle Elite and there's no capacitors. Can they be added easily? Why would Hobbico not put them in (I'm assuming it's cost)?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:05 AM
gerwen

I think they're saying the charger has the capacitor to smooth the half-wave AC into DC. It's fine to use the ps on the charger it came with, just don't use it on any other chargers.

Did a few calcs yesterday and i think you'd need a cap around 15000 microfarad to smooth the output at 2.5 A
Old 02-15-2006, 07:42 AM
JNorton

gerwen,
Red-> First of all, the power supply says that it is DC 14.5V
U-dUd-> I am challenged also. What will happen? the voltage go up too high? I have measured over 17 volts on this ps.
If the primary of the control transformer is 14.5 rms the filtered output will be 14.5 * 1.414 or 20VDC. If U-dUd measured 17 volts dep-ending upon his meter the DC filtered output will be at least that. Just leave this thing alone and only use it with the Accu Cycle it came with. If you put 17 VDC into most chargers they'll smoke without using a filtering cap.
John
Old 02-15-2006, 08:02 AM
exeter_acres

timely... I hadn't used mine in ages......

decided I wanted to trickle a few of the planes in storage,,,, left my normal power supply et al on the bench and grabbed my Multiplex Ln-5014 and the Accu cylce power supply...

plugged it all in... and the LN just kept giving me an error..... I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was regarding the input voltage....

good heads up
Old 02-15-2006, 01:52 PM
richrd

As Red said if no filter capacitors then it is outputting peak to peak from transformer then typically rectified full wave to peak or pulsing peaks. Average voltage is .636 times peak being supplied. If filter a capacitor is added then voltage is equal to peak much higher average output voltage and may damage some devices. A charger must be designed for unfiltered voltage input. BTW a typical car charger is a full wave unfiltered supply at about this voltage output.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:24 PM
guver

The reason I was checking voltage was because I could not for the life of me figure out how the elite could reduce the rate of each channels when using higher rates and this particular power supply. I still do not know and maybe someone can figure it out. I can pull over 50 watts of power from this ps, yet when using the elite it seems to limit the power based on some kind of voltage drop (when the second channel is started) Any other charger I have is linmited in direct proportion to the input voltage or the max power of the charger itself.

It's kinda hard to splain it. I will post more details later.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:27 PM
The bird man

ORIGINAL: richrd

As Red said if no filter capacitors then it is outputting peak to peak from transformer then typically rectified full wave to peak or pulsing peaks. Average voltage is .636 times peak being supplied. If filter a capacitor is added then voltage is equal to peak much higher average output voltage and may damage some devices. A charger must be designed for unfiltered voltage input. BTW a typical car charger is a full wave unfiltered supply at about this voltage output.
richrd, where did Red say this[sm=confused.gif]? Did I miss something? I just wanted to know if there is a way to update the PS so it can be used with other chargers. If not then I'll write on the PS "Use with Accu-Cycle Elite ONLY!", so it doesn't get used with other devices including chargers.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:52 PM
JNorton

ORIGINAL: WW2 Ace

richrd, where did Red say this[sm=confused.gif]? Did I miss something? I just wanted to know if there is a way to update the PS so it can be used with other chargers. If not then I'll write on the PS "Use with Accu-Cycle Elite ONLY!", so it doesn't get used with other devices including chargers.
Red did not say it but Richard and I did. I'm an EE specializing in controls. The DC voltage output from this charged if you put a capacitor on it will be somewhere from 17 to 20 VDC. DON'T USE IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

John

PS Is anybody actually reading the posts? OR is it just a case of I want it to work???????
Old 02-15-2006, 06:12 PM
The bird man

ORIGINAL: JNorton

ORIGINAL: WW2 Ace

Red did not say it but Richard and I did. I'm an EE specializing in controls. The DC voltage output from this charged if you put a capacitor on it will be somewhere from 17 to 20 VDC. DON'T USE IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE.

John

PS Is anybody actually reading the posts? OR is it just a case of I want it to work???????
John, apparently no one is reading the posts or maybe I would have got an answer to the question that I've asked twice which is; can the capacitors be added to the power supply so it CAN be used with other chargers[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]??????? If you’re an EE maybe you can enlighten the rest of us. Red started this post and for some reason has not been able to reply. I was merely asking him if the PS is strictly limited to use with the Elite. In his original post I got the impression that it wasn't even safe to continue using it with the Elite charger. At that point I had not noticed your post that mentioned that it did not apply to the Elite charger. My mistake. Some times when reading posts I tend to speed read and I missed that bit of info.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:12 PM
JNorton

John, apparently no one is reading the posts or maybe I would have got an answer to the question that I've asked twice which is; can the capacitors be added to the power supply so it CAN be used with other chargers
Not to be redundant. No you can't use it by adding a filter capacitor.
Post 11 -> If the primary of the control transformer is 14.5 rms the filtered output will be 14.5 * 1.414 or 20VDC. Just leave this thing alone and only use it with the Accu Cycle it came with. If you put 17 VDC into most chargers they'll smoke without using a filtering cap.
Post 16 -> The DC voltage output from this charger if you put a capacitor on it will be somewhere from 17 to 20 VDC. DON'T USE IT FOR ANYTHING ELSE.
John

Darn spelling
Old 02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Digger44
My Feedback: (4)

What about using it with a Capacitor and a fixed regulator @ 12 vdc.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 PM
The bird man

Thanks John. Now that didn't really hurt did it
Old 02-16-2006, 05:54 AM
JNorton

Sure you could use a filter capacitor and a 12 volt regulator. It's much easier to modify a PC power supply. www.rcbatteryclinic.com left side all the way down.
John
Old 02-16-2006, 08:02 AM
The bird man

Have any of you done the PC power supply modification? How are they working out?

John I think this is the link you were thinking of. Yes?

http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/
Old 02-16-2006, 09:55 AM
JNorton

The PC supplies work great. I've modified 4. You're right I got the URL wrong from memory. CRS is running rampant! I'll change the previous post.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

I've done several of the PC power supply conversions and they all work great. Just follow Red's web site.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:30 AM
richrd

John, apparently no one is reading the posts or maybe I would have got an answer to the question that I've asked twice which is; can the capacitors be added to the power supply so it CAN be used with other chargers[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]??????? If you’re an EE maybe you can enlighten the rest of us. Red started this post and for some reason has not been able to reply. I was merely asking him if the PS is strictly limited to use with the Elite. In his original post I got the impression that it wasn't even safe to continue using it with the Elite charger. At that point I had not noticed your post that mentioned that it did not apply to the Elite charger. My mistake. Some times when reading posts I tend to speed read and I missed that bit of info.

Yes you can add capacitors to fix this problem and use on other supplies, but also must use a DMM and verify you are not exceeding the max input voltage of the DC supplies you are powering. Typical about 5,000 uF per amp, 25 Volt capacitor is a ballpark, add with correct polarity and check with meter on DC see what you get. Then compare this voltage with your power input recommendation and if in correct range then great. A pulsing non filter supply will play havoc on delta peak detection. I am impressed that elite will work in this case. Maybe I should draw up a three terminal regulation design we use on cheap car chargers great for bulk power. Hope this clears some thing up.
Rich

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.