Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Cellpro 4s Balancing Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:04 PM
s3tbolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cellpro 4s Balancing Charger

With the proper basic supplies and tools I've had great success modifing packs to work with my CellPro Charger. All you need is the FMA pig tail, mylar electrical tape, new shrink tube, electronic solder iron, solder, heat gun, proper hand tools and fire extinguisher. No joke about a fire extingusher! LiPo's put out a lot of amperage and are in a foil wrap, you are working with solder iron, just be careful!
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Fred Marks

The FMA adapters are compatible with some 92% of Li Po packs in the field per
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=13
By using the CellPro pigtails, you can achieve 100% compatibility.

It is not posible to tell from the photo that the plastic body of the connector you show will mate with the cellPro. However, we are seeing many sugggestions either to cut the tap lead (one at a time, please) and splice a CellPro tap connector
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...121&section=45
or slip out the pins from the tap connector on your pack , do likewise on the FMA pigtail, and then slip the pins from your tap cable into the cellPro connector body. http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1214.pdf
Old 11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
qban_flyer

ORIGINAL: Fred Marks

It is not posible to tell from the photo that the plastic body of the connector you show will mate with the cellPro. However, we are seeing many sugggestions either to cut the tap lead (one at a time, please) and splice a CellPro tap connector
It looks similar to the ones used by CSRC and many others, though from the photo I have no way of telling if its wiring sequence is the same as that of CSRC or not.

Were it to be the same all you would need would be FMA's CP-TP/PQ adapter board and a CSRC 3 cell charging adapter for TP chargers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85930.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	555950  
Old 11-07-2006, 05:13 PM
bbstrikesagain

ORIGINAL: P-40LUVR

Which adapter do I need?(part number)
Im sure there are MANY batterys out there with this type of balancing plug on them..I sure hope FMA has a plug to adapt to their charger..I hate to have to cut ,splice..solder and all.[&o]
Thanks for you're suggestions!
Hi,

Looking more closely I think we have the very same battery - 3e brand 1800mAh 15C. I bought the male connector from AshTek and soldered it to an FMA Direct CPBP7 7" pigtail to make an short adaptor lead. This makes a dedicated cable that charges your style of battery by just plugging into the CellPro4S. Then, for convenience, I made up a similar cable, but 3 foot long, using JST connectors. That is more fiddly since you have to crimp the female pins with special tools.

Best bet is to avoid any messing about and just buy the FMA Direct CP-TP/PQ. It has a compatible connector for your battery, plus others, and should work straight off. The adaptor cable plugs into the CellPro4S and the battery charging leads plugs into one of the connectors on the adaptor PCB. You don't need anything else. Price for this adaptor used to be silly, but now at $9.95 I think it's fair enough - at that price I wouldn't have bothered to make up my own lead...

Cheers, BB
Old 11-08-2006, 08:57 AM
heymac

I have several CellPro chargers and Discharge Protection Modules from FMA, mostly new and unused.
Now I can't order the CellPro packs to go with them, so I have purchased a number of PolyQuest packs.

These packs use different connectors than does CellPro, so I need to make pigtail adapters. I have the male CellPro wires and connector, but need to find the other connector that fits the Poly Quest.

Does anyone know where I can purchase that connector to make the adapter wire?

Someone mentioned Astek, but there is no web site up for them.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:01 AM
jb86
My Feedback: (8)

the cellpro adapter is for T P and polyquest, so you don't have to replace your balance tabs on the batteries. i use it on my TP prolite 3s. sells now for $9.95
jon b
Old 11-08-2006, 09:20 AM
heymac

Thanks, Jon;

but I need on-board adapters to my 3 cell PolyQuest batteries for the DPMs on my planes, including twin engined ones. I had rather just make a lighter, less expensive single plug adapter, and I have already purchased 10 of the CellPro pigtails for the purpose.

Any ideas where I can get the female connector used in 3 cell PolyQuest packs?

Thanks for your help. This is important since I have purchased a number of CellPro chargers and DPMs, and don't want to spend another $10 each or rewire that many batteries.

h
Old 11-08-2006, 05:54 PM
heymac

OK, I've got it, thanks to Tim Marks at FMA Direct.

He put me on to the PureHobby.com site, which has the mating connector to the balancing connector on the Poly Quest packs. http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/micons/m16.gif

Price is $1.95, but you must have the wiring diagram from FMA and go very, very carefully. It is certainly better than cutting the leads and installing new connectors (the pins are a different size, so it is not a matter of slipping them into a new connector.

Thanks, guys.

heyward
Old 11-14-2006, 12:38 PM
P-40LUVR

Well as I expected..I got my Cellpro charger today and can't use it!
I bought the 6 plug adtapter(TP-PQ) and my battery won't connect to any of them,as I said in my post above,my balancing plug fit perfectly in the E-SKY charger(little orange square one). The plug on mine is a little larger than the 2 on the board I bought.Im told this plug is VERY common on Li-po packs...it's 12mm wide while the 2, 4 pin plugs on the Cellpro are 9mm wide,well...what do I do now?
I thought FMA would have something to connect this battery up.[&o]
Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:37 PM
s3tbolt

You can rewire your node connector to use the FMA connector, CPBP7 for $1.99, it comes with a detailed wiring diagram. I've had great success and this option saves me money since I don't have to purchase another charger for each specialized battery pack.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 PM
bbstrikesagain

Well as I expected..I got my Cellpro charger today and can't use it!
I bought the 6 plug adtapter(TP-PQ) and my battery won't connect to any of them,as I said in my post above,my balancing plug fit perfectly in the E-SKY charger(little orange square one). The plug on mine is a little larger than the 2 on the board I bought.Im told this plug is VERY common on Li-po packs...it's 12mm wide while the 2, 4 pin plugs on the Cellpro are 9mm wide,well...what do I do now?
I thought FMA would have something to connect this battery up.[&o]
Any ideas?
Hi,

The easiest and cheapest solution might be to solder a male connector, suitable for plugging into your battery's existing balance lead, on to the end of a ($1.99) CPBP7 pigtail. Then you have a simple single function adaptor lead. The problem is where to source the male connector. The [link=http://ashtekelectronics.com/store/cell-socket-type-p-441.html]Type-I (PolyQuest?)[/link] and [link=http://ashtekelectronics.com/store/cell-socket-type-p-454.html]Type-II (ThunderPower)[/link] ones are readily available from various sources, but what about E-Sky? Is the E-Sky balance lead like the [link=http://ashtekelectronics.com/store/cell-balancer-lead-pigtail-skyholic-p-422.html]Sky-Holic pigtail[/link] in which case you could use the male connector from [link=http://ashtekelectronics.com/store/cell-balancer-lead-skyholic-p-420.html]Sky-Holic adaptor[/link]. Or maybe there's a suitable connector in this [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXNGC6&P=V]Great planes charger adaptor kit[/link] as it says it covers E-Sky?

According to at least one [link=http://www.rcmdirect.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=343]website[/link] the E-Sky 3 cell 4 pin seems to exactly the match the Type-I connector mentioned above and at another [link=http://www.flying-kit.com/index_ecat.php?cPath=14]site[/link] I looked at the balance connectors on the E-Sky battery and they sure seem to be the same ones as on the 3e batteries.

Why don't you give one of these suppliers a call, or drop them a line with a picture of the E-Sky balance connector you have?

I'm about to sell a little used 3e 1800mAh 15C 11.1v, and an unrated but perfectly okay FullRiver 1800mAh, as I've just changed to Thunder Power that fits better in my heli. I was planning to sell my adaptor lead with them. I'm sure that adaptor lead will let the CellPro4s charge and E-Sky battery too. See pictures:

Good luck, BB.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
heymac

I was able to make a CellPro to PolyQuest LiPo pack adapter with balancing pigtails from FMA (part # CPBP7) and the mating connector and pigtail for the PolyQuest packs, which are available from PureHobby.com. Their part number is MC-1.

The attached photo might help. Be sure to connect the correct wires. I did that by looking at the FMA diagram and also by measuring the voltage of the two types of pack. Starting with the red wire on the Cell Pro pigtail, the second wire is not used. The third connects to the second on the PolyQuest pigtail. The forth to the Poly third. The wires on the ends (red and black) go straight to their counterpart. The second wire on CellPro and the forth on PolyQuest are unused, but can be connected for added strength if you like.

This allows me to use my excellent CellPro balancing chargers and Discharge Protection Modules with the PolyQuest packs. FMA products are an excellent value and represent fine engineering. I am sorry to loose the CellPro packs, but we don't have to loose their electronics.

mac

Name:	Qo41184.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	560435  
Old 11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
P-40LUVR

Well I got it to work!
I had to pull the male plug off the circuit board on my E-Sky charger though and clip the wires and plug off the $9.95 tp-pq adapter I bought but im in business.
I sure hope that FMA gets this post so they can get some different adapters for batterys so a guy won't have to ruin other items and scavenge parts![:@]
There are PLENTY of people running E-Sky batterys and 3E batterys to justify this.
Thanks for everyones input..you gave me ideas!
So far the Cellpro charger works GREAT!

Name:	Ig12002.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	560823  
Old 11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
bbstrikesagain

Glad you're sorted, but I'm still confused. It seems that the PolyQuest, E-Sky, Type-I, 3e balance connectors are all the same. That really is a widely used connector. So why doesn't the CP-TP/PQ adaptor have one of these plugs on the PCB? Weird.

My solution cost me ~$3 each for a dedicated 3e (PQ) and dedicated TP lead, based on CPBP7 and connectors from Ashtek.

Cheers, BB.

Well I got it to work!
I had to pull the male plug off the circuit board on my E-Sky charger though and clip the wires and plug off the $9.95 tp-pq adapter I bought but im in business.
I sure hope that FMA gets this post so they can get some different adapters for batterys so a guy won't have to ruin other items and scavenge parts![:@]
There are PLENTY of people running E-Sky batterys and 3E batterys to justify this.
Thanks for everyones input..you gave me ideas!
So far the Cellpro charger works GREAT!
Old 12-26-2006, 05:46 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Great posts and great thread. Thanks to eveyone for posting your adapter solutions here.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:56 AM
anci3nt

anyone know where you can buy the single cellpro pigtail other than from FMA?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 PM
jb86

there are "generic" plugs that match the different plugs, check w/old posts on this thread, i saw the name mouser as a distributor. there are posts that mention suppliers for different plugs.
jon b
Old 01-13-2007, 06:50 PM
s3tbolt

Fred and Greg,

I notice my recent upgraded CellPro charger is A123 capable. Are you going to be a future source for this new battery technology? Where can I find A123 packs?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:39 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: s3tbolt

Fred and Greg,

I notice my recent upgraded CellPro charger is A123 capable. Are you going to be a future source for this new battery technology? Where can I find A123 packs?
Tanicpacks.com
Old 01-28-2007, 11:53 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, I'm just getting into Electric, I fly a small foamy with a 1320 thunderpower Lipoly pack. I'm looking for a good charger that will ballance my cells as it charges. In my gas planes I use the Fromeco 4 cell and 2 cell Li Ion packs. Can somebody reccomend what they think will be a good charger for the batteries I listed. Is the FMA charger a good one, or is there something better at a decent price

thank you

John
Old 01-28-2007, 11:58 AM
jrjohn
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: klhoard

ORIGINAL: s3tbolt

Fred and Greg,

Tanicpacks.com

At over double the price you can get for cells from a DeWalt drill pack. Making a profit is fine but $91.95 for a pack you can make for $40 is obscene.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:37 PM
jb86

for charging 2-4 cell lipos you can't go wrong w/ the 4s. it is idiot proof, plug in and it sets everything automatically. lot's of nice features. for thunder power and polyquest, you get the adapter, and plug it in. when the temp is below, i think, 32F, it adjusts the charge amount so as to not over charge.
jon b
Old 02-18-2007, 04:03 PM
ATCme

Is there an adapter for the Hyperion taps to Cellpro charger availible?

ATCme[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 02-18-2007, 04:09 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I have 2 Hyperion 2100 LiPos. On my Cellpro I use the Polyquest adapter and it works fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.