Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

6v receiver battery & 4.8v retract battery - is it OK?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

6v receiver battery & 4.8v retract battery - is it OK?

Old 02-15-2006, 10:57 PM
rwithey
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6v receiver battery & 4.8v retract battery - is it OK?

I posted this elsewhere on RCU - but this is probably the better forum for this question.

I am finishing up a GP F-14 with mechanical retracts and am installing radio gear.
I read that it is advisable to use a separate battery for the retract servo to avoid the posibility of the retract servo stalling and drawing the battery below operating voltage for the receiver and flight servos. I am using a "Y" adapter between the retract servo and the retract battery then plugged into the retract reciever channel. The plug into the retract receiver channel has the red power lead removed, so the retract battery only powers the retract servo.

Of course both batteries have their own switches and charge jacks.

Fairly straight forward, right?

Well, I am wanting to use a NiMH 6v 1650mAh battery to power the receiver and flight control servos - 6v for the faster servo transit time.
I have several new 4.8v 600mAh Nicad batteries left over from a Servocity.com sale. (5 for $25)
I would like to use one of the 4.8v cell for the retract servo - the slower servo transit time would be better for the retracts anyway.

My thinking is since the 4.8v battery supplies no voltage/current to the reciever - this should be OK.
My concern is the signal wire to the 4.8v supplied retract servo is getting it's signal from a 6v powered reciever - any conflicts with this over the signal lead???

Thanks for any help or opinions.
Rob
Old 02-16-2006, 06:14 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 6v receiver battery & 4.8v retract battery - is it OK?

Servo wiring -> www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html

Okay let's get to it. You need to keep the negative (black) leads connected. This is the common for the signal leads and the batteries. The signal leads have to go to where they normally would. The positive of the batteries needs to isolated from each other. The 6 volt pack side is wired normally.

Take the servo lead extension that would normally plug into the landing gear servo and cut the center wire in the middle. This is the positive lead. On the side that is plugged into the receiver just tape it. The other side going to the landing gear servo is where you connect the 4.8 volt packs positve lead. The negative from the battery pack is spliced into the black negative outside wire. That's it, your done.

John
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM
rwithey
My Feedback: (3)

I think I have pretty already done what you suggested using a "Y" harness.
To help clarify I have posted a quick diagram of my setup.
Look OK to you all?

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21331.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	409372  
Old 02-16-2006, 01:55 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup you got it. [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

You are the man with the plan and your plan is good!
Happy Flying!