Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Are these batteries properly charged?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Are these batteries properly charged?

Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 PM
MNPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these batteries properly charged?

I have recently built a TX 9.6v pack with new Sanyo 2500mah batteries.
I use a Multiplex LN-5014. I cycled the batteries 4 times with a 200mah charge and a 550 discharge.
From what I have read the charge capacity should be 15-20 % above the battery mah rating and the discharge within 5% of the batteries rating.

The reading from the Multiplex after cycle were: Chg capa 2501 and Dchg capa 2350, peak V 11.87 and Avg V 9.87
If my statements are correct concerning % it would seem these batteries are not charging to what they should.

Am I correct?

Questions:
Is there a standard mah you should use for the discharge rate when you cycle the batteries?
I have read one should set the discharge rate at what the batteries would normally "see" in operation, OR to set it at the max discharge rate the charger will handle.

When building the batteries I used electrical tape to wrap the batteries and to also create a barrier between the stacks...was this correct to do? From what I have read one must be careful not to cover the vents on the positve end. Should I be concerned?

For a quick charge, what mah setting should I use?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

Joe
Old 02-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Are these batteries properly charged?

Charge at 250 - 300 mA for 15 - 16 hrs. Discharge at 500 mA.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Questions:
Is there a standard mah you should use for the discharge rate when you cycle the batteries?
I have read one should set the discharge rate at what the batteries would normally "see" in operation, OR to set it at the max discharge rate the charger will handle.
To mimic the manufactures capacity numbers Discharge at C/5 to .9 volts per cell. The same thing Flying Geezer said but I thought I'd say why.
When building the batteries I used electrical tape to wrap the batteries and to also create a barrier between the stacks...was this correct to do? From what I have read one must be careful not to cover the vents on the positive end. Should I be concerned?
Electrical tape can come loose. It's better to use shrink wrap or after the electrical tape use a couple of turns of fiberglass packing tape to prevent the electrical tape from loosening. My personal preference is manufactured packs that use welded straps. I made packs for years but since I started flying with these packs I like the assurance that I have not damaged the plastic insulator and so buy manufactured packs.
For a quick charge, what mah setting should I use?
For your packs to last the longest .5C. For the quickest fast charge 2C for NiCd cells and 1C for NiMh. If you can get the manufacture data it will tell you better. Thing are changing!
John
Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 PM
MNPS

Thanks for the help. Question: should I have seen a +15-20% in charge Capa and Discharge Capa within 5% of rated?
Old 02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
JNorton

If you haven't completed the forming cycle you should see the capacity raising as the forming takes place. I use three charge discharge cycles others use more. I also only use discharge cycles to compare capacity after 14 to 16 hours on a continuous C/10 charge.
John

EDIT-> With the Triton that I use you have to make several changes form the default in order to charge at C/10 for 16 hours. I just noramlly use a wall wart of the correct capacity. Red has information on his site on how to determine charge rate of different wall warts. www.rcbatteryclinic.com
Old 02-16-2006, 01:09 PM
MNPS

The cycle is complete (4 times). I did see the Chg Capa above 2500 (2740 to be exact) during the cycle. After the 4 cycles the final Chg Capa was 2501 and vthe Dchg Capa was 2350. I would have thought I would I have seen the capa at the +15-20% and the within 5% as a final reading.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM
JNorton

Red says a good pack should rate minus zero plus ten percent of it's rated capacity. Just as a double check you should be charging at C/10 or 250 mA for 14 to 16 hours. Discharge at C/5 or 500 mA to 7.2 volts. Some packs take longer to form than others.
John
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM
MNPS

Thanks John
Thats about what I'm doing..... 200 mA for about 14 hours and a 500 mA discharge. The Multiplex does not allow you to set discharge volts for a the cycle mode that I am aware of. Just to confirm the zero to ten percent is of the charge capacity and not the discharge capacity.

Joe
Old 02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: jamjet

The Multiplex does not allow you to set discharge volts for a the cycle mode that I am aware of.
Joe
yes it does
Old 02-16-2006, 02:26 PM
MNPS

OK....whle in the cycle mode you can change the charging mAh and the discharge mAh only. You can only set the discharge voltage in the discharge only mode..........I take it this applies to the cycle mode too (discharge voltage) ...diections are unclear as I've read