Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New Guy needs help

Old 02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
WiredMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy needs help

Ok, long story short. I will be purchasing my first plane very soon.([link=http://www.hangar-9.com/PTS/Main.aspx]Hangar 9 PTS[/link])
After doing alot of research here one of the things that I will be doing is replacing the battery with a 1500 mAh battery.
My LHS has this one [link=http://h1069921.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=JSP91030]JR Battery[/link]

Couple questions:
1.) Can someone please post up the exact care of this battery? Like do I need to charge it and decharge trickle fast or whatever? Sorry but I read through some of the posts in this forum and most of it is greek to me.
2.) Can someone post a link or recomend a charger that will do what I need to do? Not the most expensive one and also not a piece of junk. I would like to begin this hobby by investing in decent equipment that will last.
3.) Is the battery I selected a good one? I see JR name on alot of stuff?
Old 02-16-2006, 03:55 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New Guy needs help

If you have purchased a commercial radio (transmitter, reciever, batteries, charger and servos) there is no reason to have to update them right now. The slow charger that comes with most radio sets is perfectly adequate and will serve you well all during your learning period. You do not need a special charger and you do not have to cycle your batteries, just charge with the slow charger overnight before you go out to fly. If you already have the radio and are talking about only the battery for the flight system there are a number of chargers that will do the job. Simple is often better when you are getting started. Just get a charger that will put out about 150 milliamperes and charge overnight. Your batteries will last longer if you use slow charge, not fast charging, especialy for transmitter batteries as they are often (the origingal ones) not conducive to fast charges. You will learn a lot of good info on batteries if you check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com. The information there is very good. You have to watch the info you get on batteries on the forums as there is a lot of bad information and advice given out, not purposfully but because they just are repeating bad info they picked up elsewhere. When in doubt, double check with a known authority or with the manufacturers themselves. Most have web sites.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:00 PM
WiredMike

Thanks Rodney,
The only reason I am changing out the battery now is that there have been reported failures with the one that is in the kit. At least two people here on the boards have had an issue with the stock reciever battery.
I was hoping that the wall charger that comes with the kit would be adequate to charge the 1500 battery I am looking at. (Stock is a 600 something)
Will check out the link you provided when I get home tonight.
Man I love these boards. I have learned so much in so little time its amazing.
Thank You
Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 04:05 PM
bhanley

Mike:
1. The JR battery is probably a NiCad (you should verify that). Assumming that it is a NiCad or NimH (these denote the internal battery chemistry NiCad for Nickel Cadmium and NimH for Nickel Metal Hydride) you do want to do a conditioning charge the first time you charge them. This charge should be a 12 to 14 hour continuous charge at a charge rate of 1/10 the capacity of the battery. Using your selected JR battery as an example the conditioning charge rate would be 150 milli amps.
2. The charger that will give you the most flexibility at a reasonable price and be useful as you progress in the hobby, IMHO, is the Hobbiclo Elite. Note that the power supply you get with it can not be used for other purposes. The power supply is the thing that you plug into your shop 110 electric outlet and it then converts the 110 to the power required by the charger.
3 In my experience JR batteries are of good quality and last a reasonable length of time. However, you can get, again IMHO, equal or better quality at a better price at NoBS batteries (Hangtime Hobbies). Their link is: http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html. I can't comment on the capacity you have chosen as I am not familiar with the plane or the radio gear you intend to put in it.

Just a suggestion: If you stick with RC for any length of time you will have to learn a bit about batteries. A great resouce for doing so is the battery/charger forum here on RCU. In particular, read anything you can on the subject by Red Sholefield.

Good Luck
Old 02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red's site www.rcbatteryclinic.com
Old 02-17-2006, 10:44 AM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

rodney has given you the best advice. you do not need to upgrade the rcvr batt. the pts you are going to buy gives you every thing you need. it is however an integrated system and if you change one item it calls into question other parts of the system. concentrate on flying and dont get fixated on batteries like so many do.