Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

?? newbie needs help with battery temps..

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

?? newbie needs help with battery temps..

Old 02-16-2006, 06:57 PM
chopit73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? newbie needs help with battery temps..

Yes i am A reborn RC'er
And I just Purchased a Intelipeak Ice Charger..
My Question is I Am useing A heat Sensor For safety, and of course to get the most out of my batterys.
now Can any body tell Me The safe Temp Of A 1500 mah nicd 6 cell ??
Also Is there Any links That Will Give A General Rule as Far As Nicad's Temps , Discharge rates and chargeing Rates..
Thanks Bill
Old 02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: ?? newbie needs help with battery temps..

Max temp when chargeing is 120-130 F Max rate for chargeing is 4-4.5 amps. Discharge rate can be 10 amps (max on ice)

If these values are reduced then your batts wil last a long time. 1.5-3 amps chargeing is a good safe rate
Old 02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sanyo has good information on the web. Max discharge temperature 140 F. Standard max charge temp 113 F
http://www.sanyo.com/batteries/specs.cfm
Old 02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
richrd

ORIGINAL: chopit73

Yes i am A reborn RC'er
And I just Purchased a Intelipeak Ice Charger..
My Question is I Am useing A heat Sensor For safety, and of course to get the most out of my batterys.
now Can any body tell Me The safe Temp Of A 1500 mah nicd 6 cell ??
Also Is there Any links That Will Give A General Rule as Far As Nicad's Temps , Discharge rates and chargeing Rates..
Thanks Bill
I also use the ICE but when you get the delts peak to work at the min my packs are barely warm. Thats the ICE part. The temp probe is IMO is just stafty if you forget and set some setting incorrect. During charge anytime the pack is getting warm it's either done with the charge or overcharging it with to much amps, high temp is a bad thing if you want the pack to last the several hundred cycles.
I got my temp set a 120 deg but peak temp so far that I have gotten is 80 deg this has been my highest. After form then I Charge at .25C to 1C and discharge at C/5 for good test of capacity. If time is a short my max is 1C charge and 2C discharge. Please remember as the charge rate gets less then .25C the delta peak gets tricker to detect but the ICE is good at it just try different delta peak setting then progam to a memory location a good to go next time.
Rich
Old 02-17-2006, 04:18 PM
chopit73

Thanks jnorton, looks like alot of good info..
richrd thanks i am very pleased with this charger, i am planning on getting more formiler with how to use it this weekend..
I am going to use those same settings for now..
Now I have A new , never been charged 5 cell 1400mah, Should i Cycle This Battery ??
Old 02-17-2006, 04:28 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I have A new , never been charged 5 cell 1400mah, Should i Cycle This Battery ??
Form charge it at C/10 for 14 to 16 hours. C = pack rated capacity. In your 1500 mAh it would be 150 mA for 14 to 16 hours. I then would discharge it at C/5 or 300 mA to a .9 volt per cell discharge. In your case 5 cells = 4.5 volts. For Nicd packs once or two charge discharge cycles are enough if it is a NiMh pack at least 3 cycles.
John
Old 02-17-2006, 04:34 PM
chopit73

Thanks John.. thats what I will do..