Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

SR Batteries

Old 12-01-2002, 03:18 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR Batteries

I have recently been looking at these batteries. From what I understand they appear to be Nicd's however I do not see on their web page what brand of cell they use. I have a variety of questions regarding them:

What makes these Nicd's better than other brands who use other types of cell's?

What makes these things so expensive? You can buy duralites for the prices they charge.

What cells do they use?

From personal experience, how did they perform in Giant scale applications with 10 or more servos, such as how many flights can you get before recharge, did you see any memory affect, etc?

The BIG downfall is that they very heavy. Nimh or so much lighter and cost less, so I am curious what would convince someone to buy these.

I am interested, I just want to find out some info first before trying.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:54 PM
z11355

Default SR Batteries

They have good marketing.

They use Sanyo cells.

Honestly, maybe, in the past they were
better but IMO, they just aren't worth
the 2+x price premium.

In a recent Model Av. rag issue, I think
they ran real tests and suprise, the
packs really didn't perform any better
than others.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:19 PM
TheEdge
My Feedback: (787)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help

I just acquired one of these packs with leads from both ends. I can only imagine it is for perhaps running in series or for some different charging set up.

Would you happen to know ?

Cheers, Bob
Old 12-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Default SR Batteries

As the other post stated, good packs, but not worth the price. You can buy or make your own packs just as good for less money. I grin every time I see one of their ads with a crashed model that insinuates it crashed because of the battery.

Vince
Old 12-02-2002, 01:28 AM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Default SR Batteries

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:31 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default SR

Are they NiCd: Yes

What makes them better: SR uses aerospace grade cells, not consumer cells. They also match the cells for each pack and actually test the cells.

GiantScale? Using two SR 2200 packs on RC, 9 servos on a 35% edge. I fly 5-8 10-15 minute flights on one charge and when I discharge the remainder of the pack I still have about 1/3 left. Number of flights I can put on a pack will depend upon how hard I flew. aggressive flight = more battery drain. SR packs don't last any longer than any other pack... a 1000 Mah pack is a 1000 Mah pack regardless of who made it or what chemistry it is. Performance is really not the issue... durability is. For example, SR packs are specifically designed for use in areas of high vibration, strain reliefs on the welds, etc.

Memory problems: What was the question again? Oh yeah, never had any problems witht he SR packs.

Why Use them when NiMH is lighter? A Sanyo 2200 NiMH cell weights 2.1 ounces. A SR NiCd 2200 cell weights 2.1 ounces? Yes, I just looked both of them up and I'm not making this up. How can that be? Maybe it is the NiMH people that have the superior marketing?

Cost Less? Consumer grade NiCd and NiMh are basically identical in cost. However, aerospace NiCd grade cells cost more, matched packs cost more to make and testing packs costs more than no testing.

What convinced me to buy these? I see it as a cheap one time cost insurance policy that I won't have a battery issue in my giant scale plane. Kinda like using two switches. Now, I've never had a switch go bad, but if it did, and I only have one, it is a guaranteed crash. So use two switches and use the best quality ones I can find. IMO Batteries are in that same critical equipment class.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:51 AM
Vince

Default Re: SR

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
Are they NiCd: Yes

What makes them better: SR uses aerospace grade cells, not consumer cells. They also match the cells for each pack and actually test the cells.

Horse hockey, they use the same Sanyo cells that me and you can buy. If they used aerospace grade cells, whatever aerospace cells are, they would cost a small fortune.

They would like you to believe that they do something special to the cells, but it's all hype.

Vince
Old 12-03-2002, 09:01 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default SR Batteries

Vince, they may be Sayno cells that you an I can buy... so, how many raw Sanyo cells do you think I need to buy to make one matched pack and where can I buy a tab welder cheap?
Old 12-03-2002, 11:52 AM
Vince

Default SR Batteries

I have bought many single Sanyo cells to make all my packs from, and they all have matched rated capacity or better. The "matched" cells myth that SR spouts is marketing hype. Sanyo is the premier cell manufacturer, and they do not produce second rate cells. The Sanyo cells that I purchase have four spot welds per tab. If you have the proper battery management equipment to keep track of the health of your batteries you do not need to rely on marketing hype.

The cells that the military and NASA use (except for specialized use batteries), are the very same batteries that we use.

In thirty years of R/C flying, I have never lost a model due to battery failure. I make it a habit to check my batteries before every flight

This isn't the first time the SR battery debate has come up, and I am quite sure it will not be the last.

If you believe the SR hype, that's your choice.

Respectfully
Vince
Old 12-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Gary Retterbush

Default SR Batteries

The two packs I got from SR looked and acted like any other Sanyo pack at that time. If fact, the capacity did not live up to what was advertised. Since then, I get them cheaper and better elsewhere. YMMV
Old 09-30-2003, 05:56 PM
EU1a

Default RE: SR Batteries

ORIGINAL: Vince

.... I grin every time I see one of their ads with a crashed model that insinuates it crashed because of the battery.

Vince
Me too. That was my Byron Corsair in Model Aviation. I did a figure 9, in the middle of the field, at a crowded fly-in. All Pilot error and everyone there knew it. My only consolation, Col. Gabreski was there that day. He was very impressed with all the airplanes, and how accurately they portrayed their full scale counterparts. I was told,shortly after I went in, he said “Even their crashes are realistic”.

For those interested, crash synopsis:
I didn't stick to my routine and let the airplane get ahead of me. I was heading from right to left down the runway. As I approached center field, decided it would be a good time to do a loop. As I started my loop, rethought my previous decision, and said to my self, “ ya know, you were kinda low when you started this”. So I thought I would open up the top of the loop and tighten up the bottom. Wouldn’t be pretty but I would end higher than I started. So now I’m making this loop bigger. The airplane is getting slower. Full power torque is taking over weakening aerodynamics. She’s starting to yaw left. On her back, at the top of the loop, towards me and the crowd behind me. Hey, I flew pattern, you don’t perform a good loop without a little rudder. So there I am, up elevator to make the loop. Slow airspeed, because I tried to make it larger. Right rudder to counteract the torque that was taking over. Sounds like the making of a snap/spin. On the way down I thought about trying to recover it, and then thought, “ OK and in what direction will you be pointing if you do?” After the “Twak”, my girlfriend looked at my transmitter and idle fingers, “That you?”. My reply, “Yup.”
Old 09-30-2003, 07:15 PM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

I paid the long dollar for them for about 4-5 years and realized I was tossing more packs than my buddies. Switched to buying Sanyo cells and making my own packs. Guess what !!! Mine worked every bit as well and actually lasted longer than SR. A lot of expensive hype IMHO.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:17 AM
Larry @ SR

Hi Everyone...

A friend told me about this thread and I thought I might comment.

My name is Larry Sribnick and I'm the President of SR Batteries. In the past, there were comments here by people who said they had spoken to me when in fact they hadn't. If you ever wonder if I really said something, give me a call at the office or email me at [email protected] and I'll be glad to set the record straight.

I won't get into the middle of this discussion, but I will answer some of the questions that have been posed. You can then make up your own minds. I've been a modeler for 51 years now, in another week it will be 52. If I've learned nothing else from our hobby, there's room for everyone and every opinion.

As I said, I'll be glad to answer some of the questions that were honestly posed, but I won't debate. I'm just too busy working on our next Giant Scale kit.

1. Are they NiCds? Yes, the packs and cells we sell to the R/C field are NiCd cells. We do work with other technologies for other applications outside of the hobby, but we don't feel they are as well suited to the R/C field as NiCd's are. If you visit our site, www.srbatteries.com , you'll see our comments on the why's of this. Our industry has always been in a state of flux with new technologies and as soon as we have warm fuzzies for the new technologies in R/C applications, we'll offer them to the R/C field. Our cardinal rule is that we offer to you what we fly ourselves and would recommend to a close friend.

2. What makes us different? Again, I'll point you at our web site rather than duplicate all the detail here. If you've seen our latest ads in Model Aviation Magazine, we try to hit the highlights there. The key issue is that our R/C packs are all mil spec and are identical to the packs we make for NASA, Lockheed, Boeing, all the military services, and all the rest. Again, if you're interested in who our customers are, a partial list of them is on our web site. The important thing is that what we sell them is identical in all ways to what we sell to you.

3. What cells do we use? For almost 25 years now, this question seems to come up regularly. No matter what I say, people seem to want to insist that they know better. An SR cell is an SR cell. It is true that we don't physically make the individual cells in our facility. We help design the cells and decide on their specifications and methods of construction. We farm out the actual production of individual cells to several sources because we've found that no one source can meet our specs in all cell sizes.

Who do we subcontract to? That's propriatary information that we chose not to publish. Part of the reason is that it changes regularly and part is that it's no one else's business. Are our cells really different? Ask people like NASA Langley who had all of their battery pack problems go away when they switched to our cells and wrote us a nice letter to thank us.

Most of the other issues were covered by other people so I won't repeat them.

EU1a, I'm glad to finally find you. I left messages at all the hobby shops on the Island trying to find you. Please give me a call if you have a minute. Our number is 631-286-0079.

That's about it. As I said, I won't debate these issues here. If anyone has a specific question they can either email me or phone me as I'd be glad to help out anyway I can.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 10-01-2003, 12:06 PM
azhar
My Feedback: (19)

Larry,

This is starting to sound like the $75 government hammer. Just because NASA et. al. are using it does not justify the cost. And people are getting very satisfactory results with Nimh and low-cost Nicd.

Sorry for the snipe but I can't see how you justify the cost of your batteries.

Azhar
Old 10-01-2003, 06:24 PM
tack-RCU

I've been using them for close to twenty years now and really like em. Yep, they are expensive, however, they just plain give me peace of mind and outstanding service. Been around long enough to observe that all nicads do not perform equally over time. Glad we all have the option to buy what we like. Thanks for a good product Larry.

Tack
Old 10-01-2003, 09:03 PM
EU1a

ORIGINAL: Vince
Horse hockey, they use the same Sanyo cells that me and you can buy
My understanding of Mil Spec, is that the testing is more frequent. They very well could be the same cells but, instead of cycling 1 cell in a say 100, till it fails, you cycle 1 in 5. Could you get a bad pack? yeh, but I think your chances are greatly reduced. Are the cells the same? maybe, but your destroying more cells to prove it.

ORIGINAL: Larry @ SR
EU1a, I'm glad to finally find you. I left messages at all the hobby shops on the Island trying to find you. Please give me a call if you have a minute. Our number is 631-286-0079.
Larry,
I think we've been in each other's presence without even knowing it. I regret I wasn't able to make the Skyhawks meeting. I heard your presentation was very informative. I'll try to give you a call. I also didn't tell many people I "womped" in another plane. I didn't get off the field before someone was trying to sell me something, nevermind hobby shops.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 PM
WestCoastD

Hoping you're still out there somewhere Larry Sribnick:

I have an operation question about the ACE DigiPace 2 and 3 charger/cycler units:
I am using new (current) Airtronics M12 and M17 4-channel surface radio systems. I have opted to use 5-cell 6V Rx packs, and 4-cell 4.8V Tx packs. All SR Batteries NiCd packs (no LiPo). As I wanted to be able to use my old ACE charging gear.

I have an original SR Batteries “Heavy Duty” ACE DigiPace 2 unit I aquired back in 1980's, which you modified to use 5-cell 6V Rx packs. However, the Tx side provides only the default battery pack cutoff voltage selections (ie. 12v, 9.6V, 6v).

I need a 4-cell 4.8V, Tx battery pack cutoff voltage setting. Is it possible to modify this DigiPace 2 unit (switching resistors?, etc.,..) to create a 4.8v cut-off setting? Please let me know.

Appreciate your help!

Regards,
Dave

PS: I purchased quite a few SR packs from you back in the day. Very good product. I still have a handful of brand-new battery packs, which I've stored in my (temperature stable) home closet for years. I cycled one pack last week with very good results