Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Peak Detection

Old 02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Peak Detection

Could someone please explain how to determine the "Peak Detection" setting for a charger. I have an Accu Cycle Elite. The setting range is from 3 to 15 - with 8 being the default setting.

Thanks - Jaketab
Old 02-23-2006, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Peak Detection

With NiMh packs a good starting point is 4 or 5 mV. NiCd is 10mV.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
You recommended a multimeter the other day.
Is there such a thing as a multimeter that can tolerate going across the voltage of a circuit when you are set to measure current?
I burned one up not too long ago like that.
JLK
Old 02-23-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fluke. They normally have fuses on both the low current and the high current ranges. Even those can fry if you put the leads in current and put it across a 480 Volt line, but they don't blow up. EDIT-> Flukes and some other meters also beep if the function dial is turned to voltage with the positive current lead plugged in.

If you really want a meter that normally doesn't blow look at using a clamp on meter. They use leads for voltage and a clamp to measure current. This one measures both AC and DC current.

Sears has a decent one but you give up resolution on the lower AC and DC ranges. $100.00
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=03473756000
Old 02-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When using a clamp on ammeter, you can expand the current scale (make it more sensitive) by simply coiling the wire you clamp onto around the clamp. One extra turn (two loops thru the clamp) will double the sensitivity, three loops will tripple it etc.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

John,
You recommended a multimeter the other day.
Is there such a thing as a multimeter that can tolerate going across the voltage of a circuit when you are set to measure current?
I burned one up not too long ago like that.
JLK
You probably know this, but not everyone reading this will. I'll explain it for the folks new to using a multimeter. Putting a meter in current measuring mode across a voltage source is basically dead shorting the source through the meter. The meter will pull as much current as the source will supply until something blows. Hopefully it's a fuse that goes, but if the fuse doesn't blow fast enough, your meter will pay the price.

To measure current, the meter has to be in series with the load. When you measure voltage, it has to be in parallel. Here's a diagram.

If you have the meter set to measure current, and have it hooked up to measure voltage like in the diagram, you may wreck your meter.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66524.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	416595