Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
 How many peaks can a pack experience near full charge? >

How many peaks can a pack experience near full charge?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

How many peaks can a pack experience near full charge?

Old 02-28-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many peaks can a pack experience near full charge?

As the topic asks. If the charger missed the first peak due to NDV being set too high, will the battery produce another peak further down or will the voltage just increase and then stabilize at some point? The following graph shows slow charging of my GP3300 6 cell pack at 0.5A and 15mV/cell. Charge was terminated when maximum capacity of 110% was achieved. The peak voltage was 8.521V, and the minimum after that was 8.440V. I am curious...

Edit: subject.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78790.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	417276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49808.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	417277  
Old 02-28-2006, 08:27 AM

Default RE: How many peaks can a pack experience near full charge?

Typically no, as it overcharges the voltage decreases and battery heats up. But if battery begins to vent and out gas it could be said to peak again as it destorys itself.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:59 AM

No visible or audible signs of venting. The pack was as warm as packs freshly peaked at 5A, for about 45mins. I know this doesn't sound good... I can only know the damage done if any by the next /few cycles.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 AM

You gave two different charge rates 0.5A and 5A. Remember as the charge rate goes down the delta peak goes down. At 500mA is very low so 5mV peak is a guess. At 5A could experiment with 7 to 8mV. I have the ICE also and use 1C charge 3.3A and 7mV is my favorite and if form charging C/10 (300mA)set capacity at 140% and peak at max 15mV to never peak.
Rich
Old 02-28-2006, 11:51 AM

I understand C/10 is the accepted form/slow charging current, just wanted to experiment with 0.5A in equalising the cells at peak. I have used 5mV with 0.5A, but apparently I was only getting 90% capacity, so I set it to 15mV. When fast charging at 3A to 5A, I use zeropeak or 3mV, never higher as the packs will be considerably warm by then.

Have not used the temp sensor yet, but I will get around to it soon...