Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New 1000 mah 4 cell Nicad

Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 PM
fstevenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 1000 mah 4 cell Nicad

Have a new 1000 mah 4 cell nicad and want to give it a first set charge. I have a new Triton and was wondering if I can use it for the first charge? I have a couple of wall wart chargers that came with 600 mah batteries. Should I use the wall charger instead for the first charge? If I can use the Triton, how should I set it up. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:19 AM
marcellus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 1000 mah 4 cell Nicad

Most speciality chargers detect peak voltage and should not be used for the first charge. I believe you can switch peak detection off on some though, for form charging. Don't know if the Triton can, though.
The first charge, or even two or three should be done with a wall charger, at about 1/10 C or less, or in your case 100mA for 14-16 hours to balance and form the pack. Wall chargers generally turn out 50-70 mA which would be fine but 50 mA will take abot 28 hours to charge this pack! Don't worry about over charging with a wall charger unless the pack starts to get hot!

When you done this a couple of times the pack will be ready for your Triton.