Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Why Fromeco or Duralite why not off brand?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Why Fromeco or Duralite why not off brand?

Old 07-24-2006, 01:37 AM
tazlittleking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Fromeco or Duralite why not off brand?

I am building my first gasser 81" Great Planes Yak. Just decided to go ahead and get a DA-50. So since I am going gas I thought why not switch from NiMH to Lith-ion. Well I started to look at the prices and man I just keeping adding more and more.

Why is Fromeco and Duralite so much better? Couldn't I go with this [link=http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=507&strVarSel=&strCompare=]www.all-battery.com[/link]

and this for regulator [link=http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm]batteriesamerica.com 1/4 page down[/link]

I could save $100 just in batteries. And I could save another $300 if I went with Brillelli for the engine. Really rethinking my decisions. Anyone have any opinions on this.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 248 Likes on 200 Posts
Default RE: Why Fromeco or Duralite why not off brand?

You get what you pay for.

Duralite is a known quantity with a record of outstanding customer service. I use them in all my helis.

For example a call on Thursday at noon. "Hello Duralite, I'm having a problem with one of my packs. Well sir the guys are all at a trade show and wont be back at the office until Monday, I'll have someone get in touch with you then, my appologies. No problem I'm not in a hurry"

20 mintues later my cell phone rings "This is Mark from Duralite how can I help you?"
Long explanation later "well that pack is out of warranty but send it in"
4 days later " the pack is dead and out of warranty but i'll give you half off a new one"
6 days after first call I'm back in the air. To me that was worth any money I would have saved.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 AM
tuwood

ORIGINAL: barracudahockey

You get what you pay for.
Exactly, & when your dropping big bucks on a gasser you don't want to be cheap. I spent over 100 hours building the Ultimate in my Avitar and I chose to save 15 bucks and not buy a better power switch and used the free one that came with my RX pack. Well, the switch shorted out in flight & I had nothing but confetti on the second flight. [:@]

I now have dual fromeco batteries on my gasser with dual switches.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:33 PM
tazlittleking

I actually understand the batteries being name brand. Been down that road a little with the NiMH. Fromeco wants $40.00 for each for the regulators. Anyone else use one of the off brand regulators before?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 248 Likes on 200 Posts

I use the Radio South switch safe 5.1v regs on all but my first setup. They are made by the same folks and if the switch fails the regulator stays powered up.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com