Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Crack in starter battery casing...

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Crack in starter battery casing...

Old 12-15-2006, 10:48 AM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crack in starter battery casing...

My starter battery (Towerhobby 12V) performance has been pretty bad lately. I was thinking that it was just because it sits in a cold garage, but then I noticed 4 cracks (2 on each side) the run from the top to bottom. I'm not sure how these batteries work, but could these cracks affect the performance of the battery since its a sealed system?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Rodney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crack in starter battery casing...

Most definately a bad thing. Do you see any discoloration around the area the battery sits in? If the cracks go all the way to the innards, acid may have leaked out which is very destructive. Also, the battery will dry out and not perform well if at all and will not charge up. If you ever overcharged the battery or used to high a charge rate, you could have caused this by making the electrolite boil and build up pressure thereby cracking the case. Also a phyical shock (like dropping it on concrete or other hard surface) could cause the cracks. If and when you replace it, pay particular attention to the charging requirements, you may want to check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good advice.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

I charged it at 6A on a standard battery charger (for car batteries). I never gave it much thought. What Amperage should that be charged at? I think the tower charger is 600 mah? I guess charging it at 10x too much amperage would do it. [&o]
Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Ross Kean

You definately cooked it!! A typical 7 aH field battery should be charged at c/10 - 700 milliamps at most. Some will charge them at up to 2 amps but it doesn't do the battery any favors. Keep to the slow charge when you replace the battery.

Ross
Old 12-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Dr1Driver

This battery is dangerous and should be properly disposed of. It is considered hazardous waste. Call your local landfill and ask the operator where to take it. Alternatively, take it to a place that sells batteries and ask them to dispose of it for you.

Do not use it and do not charge it again. You could have possible leakage or even an explosion.

Dr.1
Old 12-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Campgems

Although I agree that a proper disposal is in order for the cracked battery, I wouldn't get to excited about leakage from it. These batteries are Gel cells which were developed for motor cycle batteries so they wouldn't leak in a crash. The acid in in a gel so it doesn't leak like a car battery would.

Don