Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

MRC Super Brain 989

Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MRC Super Brain 989

With winter building season upon us, cycling my transmitter and receiver batteries has been on my mind a lot. I did some shopping around and found that a good basic TX/RX cycling unit from Hangar 9 or Hobbico started in the $60 to $70 price range. I decided instead of simply purchasing a battery cycler, I may as well take the plunge and invest in a top-of-the-line charger unit with cycling built in.

Tower Hobbies had the MRC Super Brain 989 on sale for $139.99, and I had a super saver club code for $30 off plus free shipping for January. Yesterday UPS was kind enough to deliver my new charger, and I've been working the thing over ever since!

This is an impressive unit. Lots of features, lots of power. Temperature probe included. 10 amp AC power supply included. According to the manual, you can even charge off this unit while it's attached to a car battery and the car is running.

I've been throwing everything I have at it. I've been cycling NiCd and NiMh flight packs, transmitter packs, receiver packs, unbalanced LiPos, and charging balanced packs using my Equinox balancing unit in Interface mode.

I was concerned before I ordered the Super Brain 989 that all of these features could be a problem if the menu system were difficult to manuever or the data displays were hard to read. Neither concern has turned out to be valid. I've been able to set up charge and continuous cycle modes quickly and intuitively. The data output is clear, informative, and easy to read.

Just to mix things up a bit, I even ran my Hobbico Quick Field charger Mk II off the MRC 10 amp power supply, and the Super Brain 989 off a 15 amp Radio Shack power supply that I have.

If you've been thinking about purchasing a Super Brain 989, I can't think of a single reason to talk you out of it. This is a powerful, full-featured, easy-to-use charging and cycling system that can charge most any battery from either AC or DC power. With Tower offering this charger for $50 off MRC's suggested price, plus offering additional discounts on top of the sale price, now might be the best time to pick one up.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
richrd

Default RE: MRC Super Brain 989

Thanks nice post.. sure is nice to have something that works [8D] now don't you wish you had done this sooner. I did the same thing then bought the ICE wished I had done this years ago. BTW write down the capacity of each battery on pack so you have a baseline.
Rich
Old 02-14-2007, 01:58 PM
rcmaster-RCU
My Feedback: (11)

Whats the max amount of amps that you can charge lipos on? It just says 1.2C I believe which is based on the battery so that doesn't tell much. This looks like a good charger. Does up to 8 cells lipo. If it beats the triton 2 at 7 amps for lipos I might be buying one.

Thanks,
Alex.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:27 AM
bigedmustafa

The 1.2c maximum charge rate for LiPos is hard-coded into the charger. You have to input the storage capacity of the battery into the charger and the 1.2c charge cap is based off this data. I was able to select 19990mah for maximum capacity for a 3-cell LiPo and then select 10.0 amps for charge rate. If you want to charge faster than 1.2c, you'll need to input an exaggerated battery capacity to get the charge rate you want.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
NitroBobby

i just bought this charger and i have a question for you. i am trying to charge LiPos. I have a 1250mah LiPo from Megatech and an 800mah from E-Flite, both are 2 cells. when i hook them up, the unit says its charging. it displays a voltage and the battery indicator in the top left displays a bar moving from right to left, then starts at the right again. as the display scrolls it diplays the elapsed time, voltage, and current. the current reading reads 000 during the charge. is it supposed to indicate the charge put into the battery? for the 1250mah i set the charger for 2 cells and 1.20 as the charge rate. for the 800mah i set the charger for 2 cells and 1.00 amp charge rate. am i doing something wrong? is this normal? i'd appreciate any help. thanks.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
NitroBobby

i confirmed my own suspicions today. i took the charger back to the lhs and they couldn't make it work. it's broken. so they hooked me up with a new one and it works great. i can charge my 800ma LiPo in as little as 47 minutes (1.25C). the included wall charger took over 2 hours. the included temp probe can stop the charge when a programmable limit is reached. so far so good.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:00 PM
bigedmustafa

Glad you got that worked out so quickly!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Sabreman

Has anyone tried to use their Super Brain 989 to break in a motor and/or power a lathe? I was at the track yesterday and was not successful. I would go into the "Power Supply Mode", set the voltage output to 4 volts, run time for 60 minutes and wasn't sure about the amp setting. Shouldn't it tell you the amps the motor is pulling? Anyway, all that would happen is the RPM's on the slave motor would shoot way up, then come down and stop. I would get an error on the display, something like -3.32 Err I think. Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 PM
akm

I have two of these chargers and they both do the same thing in power supply mode. The only motor I could get it to run was the motor in my micro t[]. I called mrc and they walked me through the procudure to run the power supply and they said it should not do that and to send it in for service. I don't think anyone has got this to work properly that I have herd of. I would like to see Red scholefield do a review on this charger, it would be interesting to see what he thinks of it.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 PM
AIRSAVAGE

I"m thinking about getting one of these. The guy in the hobby store said the power supply didn't work right or it was hard to make work right. IS this correct? I guess I want to make sure I can charge a battery back at 6amps?
Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 PM
akm

Yes the power supply function of the charger is kind of quirky but the rest of the charger is excelent. I want to say someone here measured it to be around 115 watts. charging a 6 cell pack at 6 amps would be around 70 watts so yould be fine.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:03 PM
rookie_racer

is this charger better than the duratrax ice charger?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:26 PM
akm

is this charger better than the duratrax ice charger?
It all depends what you are going to do with it. Will need more info to answer this question.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:48 PM
rookie_racer

just charging and discharging packs for my tc4 and rc18t. the charger I have now has no discharge function and it always false peaks. Therefore, I want to get a good reliable charger because off-road racing is coming up.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:14 PM
akm

I have not heard anything bad about the ice, I do not have one so I can not comment on the performance of this charger. I do however have two 989's and I think they are great, and you can't beat mrc customer service.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:43 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

does anyone know where to buy the terminal blocks that plug into the side of the 989?

I figured out the model # of the blocks and they are made in china.

I want to set up some cords for charging my batteries.

I am trying to charge nicad packs for the Helimax axe cp. These packs have Micro Deans connectors.