Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Equinox not working?

Old 03-31-2007, 06:09 AM
surf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Equinox not working?

Was at the field last weekend and charging just fine. Went to charge up for today and the Equinox appears to not be working. Set up is: Triton 2, Equinox, Electric Fly 2100mah (11.1V). Triton set on 2100mah, 11.1V.

Checked the fuse with a ohmn meter to make sure it wasn't the fuse, it is not the fuse.

It was working fine last weekend and now nothing. Equinox doesn't sense the batteries (tried a couple of batteries), when plugged into the Triton to charge, it will default and say 'no battery'.

Any ideas? Did my Equinox just crap out? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:16 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Equinox not working?

Surf,are you forgetting to place the Ewuinox in the "Interface" mode?
Old 03-31-2007, 03:16 PM
surf

No, it won't go to the Interface mode or the Quick Balance mode. It's like the thing is dead. It's probably less than a month old and used twice. I'll probably have to call Tower and get it returned.

Just wondered if anyone else was having a problem or I'm forgetting something totally obvious like you have stated. I do appreciate the input.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:38 PM
akm

I had the same problem with my equinox, it was the 3c adapter and not the balancer. attach the balancer adapter to the battery but not the balancer, measure the voltage on the two outter pins (red and black) and see if you have battery voltage. what happened with mine is the contacts on the small circuit board are very cheep and loose contact. I removed the shrink wrap and resoulderd the wire to the back of the circuit board. The hardest part was finding shrinkwrap large enough for the board.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:53 AM
surf

akm, Thanks, great suggestion, I have probed the leads of the adapter and they are all good.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
rocketmannc

Hey guys,

I had the same problem with my Equinox that I bought from a LHS. I used it about 30 times with my Triton2 with no problems, then it stopped working. I had no signs of life from the Equinox and the problem was NOT the fuse or 3S adapter, and it was not my Lipos. I sent it in to Hobby Services for repair/replacement (keep your receipt, they need it) and after a week and a half, I received a new one. As soon as I plugged in my 3S pack, the Equinox only recognized 2 cells. I got the same thing on my other two packs and the packs checked out fine. Once in a while the third LED on the Equinox would light up or flicker, so I did not use it. Next I emailed, then called Hobby Services the next day and got some very rude guy named Warwen. He accused me of using bad batteries or incorrect adapters for my Lipos. I told him that I have charged all of my Lipos before with no problem and all of the connections where good. After some arguing, he said that he would send me an email with a return label, and never did. I called back the next day (Yesterday) and he angrily said "I will just send you a new Equinox", I don't know if he will or not.
As a side note, when I bought my Triton2 from Tower Hobbies before I purchased the Equinox, the LCD screen on the Triton2 was almost impossible to read because of the contrast setting at the factory. After reading many posts about many people with the same problem, I contacted Hobby Services and they repaired it perfectly. They knew of the problem, but keep selling the Triton2 with the contrast not set correctly. Everything that I have bought from Electrifly has had to go in for repair. When the product works, it works great but I will no longer purchase anything with an Electrifly label on it, there are too many other options out there. Just my 2 cents.

TL
Old 04-24-2007, 09:26 AM
dcwolf

In regards to your Equinox, sometimes if the cells are way out of voltage balance, it might appear that Equinox is only recognizing 1 or 2 cells, when in effect, it's simply trying to bring the voltage of that one or two cells up to the level of the third cell. So, it's possible you might not see the LED for the third cell until it gets further along in the charge cycle. Other than that, we'd we'd like to see the Equinox to determine if there is some other sort of problem.

We acknowledge that for the first (and only the first) shipment of Triton2's, the backlighting of the LCD was a little too bright. In daylight or average indoor lighting conditions, the characters are easily legible on-screen. When ambient lighting falls below average indoor lighting, the characters do become more difficult to see. If you are regularly using the Triton2 in below average lighting conditions and find the LCD difficult to see, Hobby Services can adjust the screen's contrast. As for all production runs past the first, this modification has been made permanently. So we did listen to consumers and made a change.

If you have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

David Wolf
Great Planes Model Distributors
Senior Product Support Supervisor
Old 04-24-2007, 10:16 AM
mrasmm

Right when you plug it in the lights should blink on for about a sec, and as many lights should be on as the number of cells in the pack you are working with.

I think the equinox is a solid product. I've used it alot and had very good luck with it.

Sounds like GP and Electrifly are really trying to work with you and help you out. Atleast give them credit for that! I mean if you feel something else is more solid, then go with that. It could be a chinese company that sells you the crap and then offers no support what so ever, and you are just out all of your money. =)

good luck with figuring out what your trouble is and what you can do about it
Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM
rocketmannc

I realize that I could have received the only two bad Equinox balancers that where made in a months time and that GP has been around for a long time and stands behind their product, but I also realize that I have bought 2 Electrifly products recently and both have had to go in for repair/replacement and one of the replacements was bad out of the box. All of this is OK (it can happen with any product) but with the way I was treated on the phone by the "service tech" was inexcusable. That, coupled with the issues, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am sure that 99% of GP customers are perfectly happy, I am just in that 1%.

I also realize that the Equinox only lights all of the LEDs showing the cell count for a couple of seconds in quick balance mode, then balances the high cells. On the replacement Equinox, the #3 LED flickers VERY dim or does not light during this initial connection with all three of my lipos and I know for SURE the lipos are good. This happened out of the box, and I can't trust this Equinox with $185 worth of lipos. Hobby Services does not have any more in stock, so I must wait a couple more weeks for a new one.

I did not mean to insult anyone or hurt anyone's feelings here, I just wanted to state my problems with Hobby Services/GP.

Happy flying/crashing!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
mrasmm

ORIGINAL: rocketmannc

All of this is OK (it can happen with any product) but with the way I was treated on the phone by the "service tech" was inexcusable. That, coupled with the issues, leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I am sure that 99% of GP customers are perfectly happy, I am just in that 1%.

Happy flying/crashing!!!
Yeah, I can understand that too =) not all techs are the nicest, and sometimes people just rub ya wrong, even though you are nice to pretty much everyone else, and there is nothing that person really did that was wrong. Or sometimes people have a bad day too. Not saying that he didn't treat you bad, it was right. Sounds like he was pretty rude to ya...

Sounds like you are really quite level headed about it, and it sounds like the product has given you alot of frustration, and if just for that reason, maybe it might be worth it to try something else =)

Anyways, you didn't hurt my feelings at all =) I just think that it has worked very well for me, and based on my experience I would like to see others use it as well =)

I hope ya get 'er figured out soon!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:18 AM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also purchased the equinox balancer, and it didn't work correctly out of the box. On a 3 cell LiPo, I got indicators for cells 1 and 3. 2 didn't light up. This could be the same problem you guys are experiencing. Try removing the connector from the balancer and reconnecting a few times and see if this solves your problems. Any time I use this balancer now, I connect the battery to the balancer lead first, then connect the balancer lead to the balancer. When I disconnect a battery pack, disconnect the lead from balancer first then the pack.