Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Charging Transmitter AA's with ICE

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Charging Transmitter AA's with ICE

Old 05-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Dr. Gonzo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Transmitter AA's with ICE

Hey folks,

Just a quick question. I have a set of (8) AA GP 2700 nimh batteris for my Airtronics M11 transmitter. I was wondering if it is safe to charge these AA's at a 1C rating (2.7 amps)? I read on a forum somewhere that you should never charge AA's at more than 0.5amps, but man this take forever.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Charging Transmitter AA's with ICE

What you read is pretty much what I consider a max.

I've been known to get in a hurry though and use uh, 8 amps. The faster you charge the faster the batts will degrade. The nice thing about keeping the max to .5 amps is you will get long battery cycle life.

If you do get in a hurry, need them in a pinch at higher rates of 2-3 amps will not heat the cells up too bad until close to the end and if you're in a hurry you'll probably pull them off before they are done.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 AM
richrd

Default RE: Charging Transmitter AA's with ICE

I charge my good cells aka Sanyo rated at 1C at 80% their for 2500mAh at 2 amps with 4 mV delta they just warm to 80 deg F at end of charge about 20 F rise. Your GP should take 1C I'll go do a search and see. The problem is not all batteries are created equal and you can not get a specification sheet… if unknown the C/10 is the only safe way. Guessing 500mA is just that a guess when battery was only rated at C/10 which most Wally worlds are.
Rich