Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Dialing in a new Lipo- By Mah or Volts

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Dialing in a new Lipo- By Mah or Volts

Old 05-07-2007, 07:41 PM
peterkonrad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dialing in a new Lipo- By Mah or Volts

So I recently bought a new FlightPower EVO 25C 3700mah 4S1P Lipo for my Electristar. Everything works great. I've been trying to take it easy on the new battery, flying for about 10 minutes with a light throttle, and I've been showing through my Astro 109 that I am putting back about 3000mah. That works out pretty reasonable, gives me about 20% left in the battery, which I always thought was the way to go. But I am charging the four Lipos to 16.80v, and coming home at about 14.70v. Thats about 3.675v a piece, potentially leaving a lot of flying time in the packs, and maybe going too easy on it. Understanding that its not a bad thing, but can I take more out, work them harder?

What is the rule of thumb for being nice to Lipos, determining flight times in unfamiliar planes? 80% of mahs, or taking them down to 3.3v a pack?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:42 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Dialing in a new Lipo- By Mah or Volts

I don't fly, but use lipos to a "resting voltage" of 3.5 volts and consider that "empty"

3.675 sure doesn't have much left. Some consider that "empty"
Old 05-08-2007, 12:15 AM
mrasmm

yeah, I would agree also. I run my lipos to 3.3v per cell under a load, and when I measure them OC (open circuit) they come up to be 3.7v per cell.

3000/3700 is 81%, which is right where you want to be =)

So yeah, what guver said =)
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 AM
richrd

Concur …. you are right on the money 80% useage, if you like your LiPO and do not recharge until you go flying remember full charge for weeks weaken batteries.
Rich