Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LiPo's Versus NiCad/Nmhi

Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Denkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo's Versus NiCad/Nmhi

Except for the benefit of reduced weight, but considering Higher cost, Limited cycle life, Increased charge time, Only able to safely use 70% of capacity, Generally greater management. Are LiPo's really worth considering against the durability and endurance of Nmhi/NiCad's. I would appreciate some opinions on this topic.
Denkin.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LiPo's Versus NiCad/Nmhi

I think it may depend on the size of the plane you fly.

I only have experience with electric park flyers. I can get a 11.1V 2000mAh battery from commonsenserc.com for the same price as a 9.6V 1500 mAh Nimh from cheapbatterypacks.com.

For the extra capacity, voltage and reduced weight, it isn't much of a question for me anymore. The first time I saw my Formosa leap off the ground with an inexpensive lipo powered brushless system, I was hooked.

I still use Nimhs, but won't replace them when they lose their punch.