Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

charge two batteries with one charger

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

charge two batteries with one charger

Old 05-09-2007, 01:56 PM
thatdecade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charge two batteries with one charger

I have a pair of 9.6V 700 mAh NiCd batteries I would like to use. They run in parallel to a 5V regulator. This combo seems to work, but I'm worried about running the batteries too low and damaging the overall battery life.

The batteries came with a 12V 7W charger and was curious if I would be able to attach it to charge my batteries while they are still connected to everything else. Since the polarities on the charger and the battery are the same, I figure the regulator should be able to handle the now 12V input because the datasheet tells me a range of 8 to 12V.
So maybe I can charge both the batteries at the same times without disconnecting them from the circuits?

http://www.national.com/ds.cgi/LM/LM341.pdf
Old 05-10-2007, 09:26 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: charge two batteries with one charger

Nicads have to be charged separately, not in parallel.

One battery may have a slightly different internal resistance which changes the time it will take to charge. Most often, one battery will charge faster than the other.

One at a time, and no regulator. Charger directly to the battery.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:30 AM
thatdecade

Thanks for the reply, one more question though.

If I only use one battery pack, do I still have to disconnect the battery from my circuit?

Edit:
I mean the charger will be connected directly to the battery, but the battery will still be connected to everything else.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:28 PM
richrd

The regulator may load to much an mess up the peak detection if using a fast charger. On slow charge I really can not think of a problem other than just being slower due to the regulator load. Just best to do seperate then nothing to worry about.
Rich