Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Battery Temperatures

Old 05-09-2007, 04:34 PM
magnus213

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Temperatures

Hey dudes, I have a question concerning my NiCd car batteries. I have an Evader BX with a Duratrax Streak ESC, Team Orion 12T double Formula SV2 Pro motor, Tower Hobbies 420 charger, and EPIC 1500 mAh NiCds. Now I realize that the motor isn't a great combination with the batteries, but the batteries are inexpensive and I don't have an NiMh charger. My question is, how hot are the batteries supposed to get during charging and right after a run (which only lasts about 4-5 minutes)? Immediately after a run they are too hot to hold for more than a couple seconds, and using my nitro temp gun I caught one at about 140 degrees F. They don't get quite as hot at the end of charging, but they're quite warm then too. Is this normal?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Battery Temperatures

Sounds pretty normal. Chargeing generally shouldn't get over 125-135 F yet as you have found out if they are discharge pretty heavy they can go well over 150. There probably not going to live forever, but would start to degrade fast at 160+.

Your power consumption is really too much for 1500's and it may already be hurt. If you do get some gp or ib cells it'll seem like a new buggy. The best you can do with nicads is about 2400, but it's usually cheaper to go ahead and go with nimh.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:48 PM
magnus213

Alright thanks for the info, luckily they're just $9 packs so I should at least get some good use out of them. What are gp and ib batteries? I'm more of a nitro guy...[8D]
Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

gp and IB are cell manufacturers and lots of packs are made with those cells. Tower carries them both I think (along with many others)
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
magnus213

Good old Tower. Looks like I'm going to have to save up, then...