Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

li ion battery fell in water.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:11 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default li ion battery fell in water.

hey guys I just had a question because I don't know much about li batteries and this seems like a good place to ask. I have a cell phone with a lithiam ion battery and I dropped it into whater while teh phone was on. I pulled th phone right out of the water. now I took the phone apart pulling off the case and drying out the cirtry. now the phone does not turn on . I figure the phone is probably shot but do you think that it may just by chance be the battery that is no good and the phone may possibly still be ok ?
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: li ion battery fell in water.

I'm guessing you took out the battery asap? Sometimes if you drop them in water and can get the battery out fast enough, and let them dry for a day to a few days then sometimes they come back to life.

Usually it's the phone that goes (always been the phone in my experience, but I guess it could be the battery), if you have a mulitmeter measure the pack and see if you get 3.7 to 4.2v or so. The other thing you can do is if you know someone who has the same phone or one that takes the same battery then test it and see if it works =)
Old 05-10-2007, 07:26 AM
richrd

Water bad.. Beware some phones have a water detection sticker so when you take your phone in for warranty they first look to see if it has been submerged. Some just hand the phone back to you an say sorry. Let dry for couple days then see if it will come back to life. I’ve tried to fix two cell phones and a remote phone had no luck with either. Did fix a remote control that went thought the washer once.[X(]
Rich
Old 05-10-2007, 08:20 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

its toast
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks guys . But believe it or not I let it sit with the case off and the battery out I just snapped the thing back together and it turned on and is working fine. I'm not worried about it being dropped in the water with the sticker because its a trackphone, chances are a new phone would cost less to buy then repairing this one anyhow.