Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

li-po battery without balance leads

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

li-po battery without balance leads

Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
bandit409

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default li-po battery without balance leads

Someone is teling me he has a li-po charger that will charge and balance a li-po battery without a balance lead. I thought I new a little something about electronics but I cannot see how this is possible. Is this possible????? If I understand how a balancer works it drains back the higher charged cell (higher voltage) to match the lesser charged cell (lower voltage). I do not see how you can do this with one two wire lead on three cells in series.

I would not think much about this but the one that told me this is a owner of our LHS.

Would some PLEASE respond!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: li-po battery without balance leads

That someone is an idiot. You are the smart one not to listen to him. LHS owners are not the best source of information in most cases. [:'(]b The fact that he owns a hobby shop should tell you he is not the brightest bulb on the retail string. Hobby shop owners that have retired from a real job and doing it for something to keep them busy and subsidise their R/C hobby are exempt from the above characterization. Most of them can be real helpful.

ORIGINAL: bandit409

Someone is teling me he has a li-po charger that will charge and balance a li-po battery without a balance lead. I thought I new a little something about electronics but I cannot see how this is possible. Is this possible????? If I understand how a balancer works it drains back the higher charged cell (higher voltage) to match the lesser charged cell (lower voltage). I do not see how you can do this with one two wire lead on three cells in series.

I would not think much about this but the one that told me this is a owner of our LHS.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:33 PM
mrasmm

lol, yeah, listen to red =)

the only slight exception, and this is almost certainly not the case, is some backs have circuitry between the cells that balance the pack, but basically if it doesn't have a balance lead red is right =) I personally think that those kind of packs are quite a gamble to use.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

ORIGINAL: bandit409

Is it supposed to be (a li-po battery without a balance lead)? If so a port such as the orion/peak packs would qualify and can be balanced without a balance lead.

If it is (charge and balance without a balance lead) then it can still be done the same way manually thru the balance connector on the pack.