Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Durlite batteries

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:51 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durlite batteries

What do you think of Durlite batteries and their charger.
Are they good and does their charger work well.
I have a WH Extra 300 28d% currently have NiCad batteries sub C 5cells
am thinking of going to Li Ion.

On that I am confused I thought LI Ions were a round cell similar to NIMi
and LiPoly were flat soft envlopes, is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84814.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	716449  
Old 07-05-2007, 05:29 AM
mrasmm

Default RE: Durlite batteries

lipo's are in soft cases yes, hence the polymer (that's what the sack is made out of), but li-ions can come in many different shapes, they usually come flat that I have seen though. The main difference is that li-ion's are usually in metal cases, where as the li-po's are what you were sayin.

i dunno much about duralite though. I definately think you'll like going to lipo though with your setup =)

you might be thinking about the a123 packs. I think they are lithium manganese, and mostly those come in round cells that people strip from dewalt drill battery packs. Those definately have some distinct advantages to them, but you'll probably need to learn more about them, and you would need a specific charger for them because they charge differently than other lithium packs.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Duralites are awesome. I run them in all my helicopters.

A 4000 mah pack, with a 5.3 volt regulator and I can fly all weekend on one charge with all digital servos, a gyro and rpm governor.

The charger is the model of simlicity, plug the battery in, the green light comes on, when it goes out they are done. Takes a few hours if you drag them way down but with so many flights per charge there's simply no reason to need to field charge.

They only warranty thier packs with thier charger as its designed to work with the onboard cell balancer circuit thats installed on each battery.

If you want to save a few bucks the Radio South regulators and loaded voltage checker are made at the same place as the DL stuff but are cheaper. Get the switch safe regulator, it removes power to the regulator when the switch is closed so if the switch fails the regulator stays powered up.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:57 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the replys guys I like the looks and idea of the DL charger.
From what I hear their caharger is the epitome of simplisity.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Fromeco all the way. Better regulator (a real 10amps) cheaper packs, charger and great customer support
Old 07-07-2007, 10:18 AM
GeneG
My Feedback: (11)

I only use Duralites now. I use them in everything from 30 sized helos all the way up to F3A pattern planes. LOVE THEM! I have tried every battery I could find and believe that Duralites are the best. It's a combination of the cells they use and top notch support. Duralites handle high power, deep discharges applications very well.

I tested multple batteries with the same specs and C ratings under the same high load. When other cells sagged under load to below the speed control cut off voltage, Duralites did not. They have never let me down yet.

If this is your first attempt at LiPos, save yourself the headache and buy the Duralites.

p.s. Buy the V-balancer module too.