Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Triton charger for 2 cell B&D VPX A123 pack

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Triton charger for 2 cell B&D VPX A123 pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 PM
VinceL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Triton charger for 2 cell B&D VPX A123 pack

Does anyone know if the discharge / cycle features of chargers will work when using the daptor type devices? I would like to check the capacity of batteries and this could make me go to a new charger rather than using one of these devices. Any reason one of these won't work on my Astro 109? I don't want to mod it due to still using it for Lipos.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:51 AM
everydayflyer

The Dapters will work fine with the stock LiPoly version of the AF 109. I charged my first 3S and 4S A123 with such for a while before I modified it and I also convinced Charllie Wang (Mr. Thunder Power) to add A123 support to the TP-1010C charger. I have done Beta testing for TP.

No the dapters will not work in discharge mode but then they are not needed then The AF 109 (LiPoly ver.) will not discharge A123 low enough to get a good capacity test and in fact the discharge rate is so low that you really do not want to discharge them to a low voltage anyway.

My A123 charging Thread on RC Groups including AF 109 and Dapter

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603368

Charles
Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tested the dapoter from http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/...roducts_id=1877, with a triton charger.

Battery pack: VPX A123 2-cell
charging/discharging mode: Lipo, 1.5A charging, 0.8A discharging to 6v
logged capacity when discharging : 890 mah
logged capacity when charging: 855 mah
dapoter cut-off voltage: 7.4v

Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 AM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

I like you Charles.. you think outside the box and seem intelligent with facts that back up what you say. To many sheeple in this great nation of ours.

Now to the purpose on my post.

I'm new to A123 cells so I was doing a little digging here on RCU when I came across this thread.

I bought a few B&D VPX packs that I plan on using to power receivers in some of my planes. So charging was what I needed to learn about. Most threads say that you need some sort of adapter to use with certain chargers (many of which I own) or you will destroy the pack(s).

So heres where I stand.

I can purchase a generic dopter for
$19.99 + $14 S/H = $34.00

OR

I can get the original Dapter for
$37.99 + shipping unknown = quite a bit.

OR

I can get a Cellpro 4S for
$49.99 + $8.99 = under $60 bucks......
WOW...Now I have another charger that will compliment what I already own.

To me its a no brainer....

What am I missing here ???
+$40 for a specific adapater or add $20 and have another fully functional charger.

Thanks for listening,
John

EDIT: to say I am in no way affiliated with any RC company..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
BillS

I'm new to A123 cells so I was doing a little digging here on RCU when I came across this thread.

I bought a few B&D VPX packs that I plan on using to power receivers in some of my planes. So charging was what I needed to learn about.
That is a good question. I only have NiCad chargers and use only NiCad batteries but would like to experiment with 123 batteries as receiver packs. I also have one electric glider, a Gentle Lady with a brush motor powered by a NiCad battery. It takes about 4 hours to charge the glider battery. I have about 20 glow or gas airplanes that are flight ready. Five or so working NiCad’s are swaped between airplanes when they are flown.

Chargers are:
Accu-Cycle
Smart Charger
Hobbico Multi-Charger
Hobbico Quick Field Charger

I have been unable to warm up to electric power and long ago decided to avoid batteries that might elplode. If the glider becomes fun I will purchase a charger. For now 123 batteries are an experiment for me and another charger is undesirable.

What do I need to charge 123 batteries?

Bill
Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 PM
everydayflyer

wahoo
CellPro4 is a very good choice for A123 (VPX)receiver packs. It will charge a 2S at up to 4A which is an approx. 4C (15 min) charge for the 1100 mAh cells and it balances. Do not forget to order some pigtails (node leads).

BillS

How many cells in your glider Ni battery?

Each A123 cell is approx. the same as 3 Ni cells. I have used a 3S 2300 mAh A123 pack in several of my 2 meter gliders that used 6-8 cell Ni packs in years past.

Any Ni charger will work if used with any of the A123 compatible Dapters.
Any LiIon / LiPoly charger can be used also. A123 cells are normaly charged to 3.6-3.7 volts per cell where as LiIon charge to 4.1 and LiPoly to 4.2 however charging A123s to these levels will not do that much damage to them as long as a balancer is used to prevent any cell from exceeding 4.3 volts.

Some in-line balancer with an over voltage safety disconnect such as an Equinox will both balance and stop the charge when one cell reaches 4.3 volts.
Try them for a while with such a setup or your existing chargers then purchase a LiFePO4 mode charger when you see how great they are.

Seems like I have answered these question in the past in this very same thread.

See post # 7

Charles
Old 12-31-2008, 12:22 PM
BillS

Charles thanks for a very helpful answer.

How many cells in your glider Ni battery?
The NiCad battery has 7 cells. The motor is a Kyosho O5 R, geared and has a Kyosho prop. The speed controller is a Great Plains C-35 ElectriFly (35 amp). The airplane flies but doesn’t climb very well. With almost no understanding it is assumed that three 123 batteries would be required and a 35 amp speed controller would not be overloaded.

Seems like I have answered these question in the past in this very same thread.
You answered but I did not understand. Unfortunately I read post #7 and the entire thread more than once without a conceptual understanding of the words being used. Yesterday I found Dapter through a Google search and read the manual, which was helpful. Apparently Dapter is a voltage-limiting device.

Thanks again for your very helpful advice.

Bill
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
everydayflyer

7 cell Ni charges to approx. 10.5 volts and a 3S A123 charges to approx. 10.8 volts so should be OK for ESC. A123s will deliver more amps. so you may need to use a smaller prop. to keep amps. below 35 .

3S A123 will be lighter than Ni and will hold volts a lot longer so more climbouts per charge.

Charles