Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Ace Digipace 1 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 11:32 PM
Jerkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace Digipace 1 Question

I purchased one of these chargers off of Ebay. I recently tried to use it for the first time yesterday. I hooked it up to the exterior charging jack of one of my planes. The charge light goes on but when I go to select discharge the discharge light goes on but goes right back off. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-13-2003, 11:52 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jerk:

I've never used the Digipace, but it sounds like you're getting a low voltage termination.

Let it charge to peak, then try the discharge again.

And if it has a cell count setting, you might have it set to five cells while connected to only four.

HTH

Bill.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:34 AM
fourstarforty

Default digipace 1

I have the same charger havn't used it though for a couple of years ( i use the triton and hitec 335).Mine did the same as yours and i know my battery was fully charged, pushed the button to discharge red light came on then went off green light came on to charge.I think there is a problem with the switch or ?.I hope you get yours going since you just bought it.Let me know how you fix yours please.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:03 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Default Digipace I

If yours is the type of transmsitter that has a diode in the charging circuit, the Digipace - or any other discharger, will not work - the diode allows charging but not discharging. Try connecting the battery directly, outside of the transmitter.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:52 AM
Jerkey

Default Digipace

Eloy your name sounds very familiar. Did I buy this charger off you on Ebay. Anyway the battery I am refering to is a RX battery in a plane not a TX. Mine are all jumpered anyway.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-15-2003, 04:52 AM
EloyM

Default ACE DIGIPACE

Wasn't me - I have never been on EBay! You may have seen my name with one of my articles on R/C electronics in Model Aviation or High Flight magazines.
Re you Digipace, if you have charged the battery with the normal system charger and it still will not discharge on the Digipace, it is defective. I have schematics, including troubleshooting, if you or someone local can check it out. Eloy
Old 04-15-2003, 05:03 AM
William Robison

EloyM:

Do you have schematics and logic diagram for the Accu-Cycle Plus? The AC+ Is a great unit with only one minor fault - it blows up consistently. I'd like to build mine up to be reliable, Hobico has fixed it three times, and it's crapped out again.

Appreciate it if you can help.

Bill.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:05 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I have the instructions and schematics in gif. and doc. formats( I converted them after Eloy mailed them to me). If you want I can e-mail them to you.

[email protected]
Old 04-15-2003, 05:19 AM
EloyM

Default AccuCycle

Wm Robison - sorry, nothing in the files on the AccuCycle. Strange - I had one for a couple of years with no problems. I replaced it with a Cirrus CyclePro because it has a couple of additonal features I can use. Also no problems. Good luck, EloyM
Old 04-15-2003, 05:28 AM
William Robison

EloyM:

Thanks anyway.

Bill.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:08 PM
bolts61

Default RE: Ace Digipace 1 Question

the charger you are using automaticly jumps to charge if the battery is at its low point and you are using thats how it determins the voltage rating if its set to the wrong cell count it will beep and flash both the red and green light at the same time it has failsafe's built in it so ya dont burn it up read the instructions and the baterys for the charge rates anything under 1000 mia you must charge it at 500 and discharge at 250 over 1000 use the 1000 and 750 settings but again read the instructions
Old 12-10-2006, 11:20 PM
madman75

Ive got an ACE Digipace 3 that so far is still working plus I still use it. Does anyone have schematics for the Digipace 3? I would like to keep it working if it ever gives up the ghost. I had it fail once but was covered under warranty. I would like to check the cut-off voltages to see if they are correct and adjust them if off.
Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 01:41 AM
EloyM

MADMAN 75. I have DP3 instructions, schematics, conversion to 4/5 cells, etc. Some 15 pages. Email me direct: [email protected]
Old 12-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Daryl Martel

I've had an Ace Digipace 1 for many years and still use it regularly. Nice piece of equipment. It seems to me that what you're seeing is an indication that your battery isn't charging up properly. You should meter (measure the voltage of) the individual cells of the pack to determine if you have a bad cell. I've had this same indication a few times and every time it was a bad cell in the pack. This is the beauty of a cycler - they really give you a good indication of battery health. I particularly like the fact it gives a discharge readout in minutes. I feel very comfortable when I see nice long discharges as I know I can safely fly a few flights without worry. I bring a fast field charger along to the field and always top up after two or three flights. I also use an ESV between/after flights. I think this is just about as much as you can reasonably be expected to do to ensure that your battery retains enough charge to fly safely.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Fred Marks

ORIGINAL: Daryl Martel

I've had an Ace Digipace 1 for many years and still use it regularly. Nice piece of equipment. It seems to me that what you're seeing is an indication that your battery isn't charging up properly. You should meter (measure the voltage of) the individual cells of the pack to determine if you have a bad cell. I've had this same indication a few times and every time it was a bad cell in the pack. This is the beauty of a cycler - they really give you a good indication of battery health. I particularly like the fact it gives a discharge readout in minutes. I feel very comfortable when I see nice long discharges as I know I can safely fly a few flights without worry. I bring a fast field charger along to the field and always top up after two or three flights. I also use an ESV between/after flights. I think this is just about as much as you can reasonably be expected to do to ensure that your battery retains enough charge to fly safely.
It always pleases me to know that modelers still enjoy use of products Tim and I designed over the past 35 years. The original Digipace I was the first solid state cycler for Ni Cds and had an LED readout. Digipace II was the next generation and added an LCD display. After ACE was out of existence, we introduced the third generation under FMA as Einstein. All-told, over 150,000 of the three units went into the field. I wonder how many are still in use today? I have taken a lot of gentle ribbing from son Tim, who enjoys telling that archaeologists keep finding Silver Seven receivers in archaeological digs!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Daryl Martel

Quality stuff is timeless. I don't care if it's not the newest snazziest cycler - it works, and works well. I've even found that it peak detects Nimh (don't try this at home kids). Fred, I checked out the FMA website - don't you sell the Einstein anymore?
Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 PM
madman75

Eloym
Email sent. I sent two emails. I don't know if you got any of them.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 01:52 AM
EloyM

For FRED MARKS.
Fred, I wonder if you know just how much of your previously designed equipment is still in use. I do...........I probably have the largest library of the original Ace R/C instructions and schematics, many with the byline: By Fred Marks. It is a rare week when one or two requests for info don't come in. All I ask is a bit for Kinko's copies and the post office, but the guys are generous and the excess goes into a kitty for those outside the US.
Anyway, thanks for all the useful items you have fathered. Eloy
Old 12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Fred,
I was not aware that you designed the Digipace[8D] I still have the one I built from a kit many years ago (remember kits, Heathkit, Knightkit, Lafayette) the only reason I retired it was when I went with 5 cell rx packs and got a "deal" on a almost NIB Digipace II last year. Now if the Digipulse charger could just be upgraded to charge at 250Mah or so[&o].
Hope to see you at the WRAM show in Feb.
Regards,
Pete
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 PM
CubLover82
My Feedback: (1)

I just bought a used Digipace 3 for $15 at the Perry Swap Meet and I'm loving it!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember kits, Heathkit, Knightkit, Lafayette
You are really old. I used to build Knight kits before I built HeathKits. I remember Lafayette well but never bought any of their kits. Then there was Echo kits.

Fred;

I also still have a Digipace I in original condition. I added a switch and stuff to do 3 cells. I have a Silver 7 transmitter that I intend to make legal some day. I also have the HeathKit 5 MHz single trace scope that I used to align RC stuff.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:01 PM
MRRCSMike

I saw the post from EloyM on here and I know it is very old but, I was wondering, are you still monitoring this board and do you have a troubleshooting guide for the Ace Digipace I? One of mine is acting up (I have two of them). I bought the malfunctioning one several years ago at a swap meet as a secondary cycler. It never has worked correctly. It charges but will not do a discharge. Like another fellow on here, the discharge lights come on but go off immediately and starts charging the batteries after the slide switch is released. It is the same whether it is connected to a RX pack or a TX pack. If you are still here, or anyone else for that matter, and you do have a troubleshooting guide, I would greatly appreciate receiving a copy of it. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:51 PM
EloyM

First! - Is the battery you speak of four cell - the Digipace I is calibrated for such and will not work normally with a five cell pack.
Second, are you sure the battery being tested in good. A defective battery that does not accept a charge will affect the DP as you describe. To test, connect a voltmeter to the battery along with the DP and press the discharge button. If the voltage drops below 4.4V, the battery is gone.
I have all instructions for the DP I, which include schematics, parts placement and trouble shooting info. $5 will cover Kinko's copies and USPS. Direct please: [email protected]
Old 03-10-2016, 10:58 PM
MRRCSMike

Yes, they are four cell and are known good. My other DP works just fine. It is this second one that I have always had issues with. It has never worked to discharge the batteries. Does your troubleshooting guide include this particular malfunction? I have not opened up the problematic unit as of yet but I am sure it has some kind of internal failure. I can PayPal you the $5 easy enough. Let me know if that will work for you.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 AM
rmkeyjr

I have been out of RC for many years but now am getting started again. I had the Ace Digipace which would charge/discharge Tx and Rx nicds very simply. It was great. Now there is a bewildering variety of chargers. Just had a bad experience with Hitec X1 which I am returning. Do you have any suggestions for a reliable charger? I suspect the Graupners would be good but I dont want to spend that much. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.