Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

"Higher-End" Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Higher-End" Chargers

I am looking to add to my charger fleet, and want something better than the run-of-the mill GP/Hobbico stuff (don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Hobbico).

I want to really "know" my batteries. My ACE Digipace3 has served me very well with small-medium size NiCad/NiMH packs...but as I progress to larger & more sophisticated planes, by batteries do too. (funny how that works)

My budget is somewhere in the ballpark of $300 (or less).

My primary concerns (must have features) are:
Ability to "form" charge larger NiCad/NiMH (timed charge at a true overnight rate (C/10)...aka peak detetion turned off)
NiCad/NiMH capable
LiPo/LiFe (A123) capable
User-friendly interface (I know, this is a highly subjective measure)
Extremely accurate (for analysis purposes)

A "Loaded" voltmeter onboard is nice.
D/C input is nice, but not that important to me.
Onboard Lipo balancer is nice, but not mandatory
Ability to sync up w/ a PC is also nice, but not essential..
Update-able firmware is a big plus...but again, not a deal-breaker

The three that I am looking at are:
Orbit Microlader Luxury V6.54 [link]http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=1836226&cat=72&[/link]
Bantam e-Station BC6-10 [link]http://www.rcaccessory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=354[/link]
Hughes RC Spectra 4 [link]http://www.hughesrc.com/[/link]

I have also looked at the Schulze chargers, but I didn't get too excited. Maybe their website just doesn't do their products justice?

Any thoughts? Anybody using any of these? Anyone have experience with more than one of these?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: "Higher-End" Chargers

I have the BC-6 (not the 6-10) and have been pleased with it. ALso, have had great support from Evan at RC Accessories.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Any of the three chargers you picked are good. I have all three of them on the charging bench. Due to its ability to charge 4 packs independently the Hughes Spectra 4 gets the most use for Ni-MH, Ni-Cd and Pd. I do like the computer interface of the Orbit Microladen. The BC 6 is attractive because of its AC/DC capability and balancing feature for LiPos. Decisions decision's, decision's.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Thanks for the input.

Red, I was looking forward to your reply! My head is spinning trying to figure out which one fits me best. I've looked at so many chargers, I can hardly remember which one does what
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Tough to say which will be the best for your needs, but I can tell you one thing, no matter which one you pick there will be a better one hitting the market tomorrow.

I tend to lean toward a dedicated charger for the specific battery chemistry. CellPro for LiPo/A123 and Something like the Triton 2 or Multiplex LN 5014. Multi-purpose chargers can get you into trouble if you happen to set the wrong, although the Hughes Spectra does everything it can to keep you from doing this. Also if you have one "Does it ALL charger" if it happens to crap out you got nothing at all.

I bet this is a lot of help.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
ArcherIIDriver

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

no matter which one you pick there will be a better one hitting the market tomorrow.
LOL...Ain't that the truth! [sm=tired.gif]

I tend to agree with you concerning dedicated chargers for each chemistry...that is basically how I am set up now (only without the capacity for true "overnight" C/10 charging for larger mah packs). This whole thing has been a snowball effect: "well, if I have to buy a new charger anyway..."

I'm thinking a Multi-function set-up might allow me to try some of the newer stuff (like A123) sooner than I would otherwise. Historically, I have purchased batteries based on what I could charge using my existing equipment.

I don't know...maybe an ACE DDVC for the slow overnight stuff, and a Multiplex LN5014, and a CellPro, and a...[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-19-2008, 05:59 AM
saitofreak

Schulze chargers are some of the best available, but pricey. The new "Next" generation are top spec and have everything you could want from a multi-chemistry charger. I got the Next 7.36-12 because it's massively powerful (+300W), has built in PC connectivity via USB (with logging capability), future proof(firmware download via web) and surprisingly small. Any new chemistry that may hit the market - no problem, just download a firmware update. I'd been waiting for years for a charger this capable. There have already been 2 firmware updates this year to improve operation and iron out one or two issues, so the product is supported.

The unit has 2 outputs which can be used in any combination of charge and dicharge simultanously - but note that the second output is power limited and can only deal with voltages up to approx 12V (6cell NiCds etc) - it's meant for Rx batteries and the like.
Output one can handle up to 36 NiCd's and 14Lipos! Built in balancing is for up to 12 Lipo's! Max charge rate is 7A(up to +300W). More than enough capability. If you need even more current, get the 10A version.
You need a really powerful bench PSU for home charging so factor that in if you consider the schulze. Has a great feature whereby if you discharge your battery packs and are running the charger off a car battery then it dumps the energy back into the car battery - pretty cool.

User interface could be better, but not a deal breaker - has a massive backlit screen(which is nice) and plenty of memory to store battery profiles. Also has connections for temperature sensor, a fan unit for cooling battery packs and a light bulb for external indication.

If you look beyond the price, this is a brilliant charger [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 06-19-2008, 03:31 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Tough to say which will be the best for your needs, but I can tell you one thing, no matter which one you pick there will be a better one hitting the market tomorrow.

I tend to lean toward a dedicated charger for the specific battery chemistry. CellPro for LiPo/A123 and Something like the Triton 2 or Multiplex LN 5014. Multi-purpose chargers can get you into trouble if you happen to set the wrong, although the Hughes Spectra does everything it can to keep you from doing this. Also if you have one "Does it ALL charger" if it happens to crap out you got nothing at all.

I bet this is a lot of help.
It is not very often I disagree with Red. But....

The Cellpro is a nice charger, but for A123's it is slow and limited to 4 cells. I run 3S and 4S lipo's which means 4S and 5S A123's. I also charge them at 10 amps, done in 15 minutes. That is one of the big advantages of the A123's, super fast charging.

Lipo chargers without built in balancers like the Triton and Multiplex are really animals of the past. Nearly every new charger coming out has a built in cell balancer. Bantam, Hyperion, and all the Chinese chargers too.

Few companies now have dedicated lithium chargers these days.... TME Xtrema, FMA, Astro. Everyone else is multichemistry and 99% of them have the safety features and records to ensure that you don't blow yourself up. Even the Thunderpower 1010 which touted itself as being so safe because it was a dedicated lipo charger is now multi chemistry.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:29 PM
RUNDUCK

I'm useing the HYPERION EOS1210I 12S 30N LIPOLY/A123/NICD/NIMH charger and it does everthing that I need. Do a Google search and you will find more info on this charger.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
ArcherIIDriver

Is that Hyperion unit capable of "dumb charging" (timed charge without peak detect)? I really want a unit where I can turn off peak detection for "form" charging NiCd/NiMh.