Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

BAD experience using PC Power Supply?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

BAD experience using PC Power Supply?

Old 05-13-2003, 07:43 PM
norbique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD experience using PC Power Supply?

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone had some BAD experience using a modified PC Power Supply to power his/her Charger.

I've read those articles about how to modify a PC PS to use it as a 12V PS for the charger. I got one myself and modified it. It works perfectly, but how long? I am a bit afraid what happens if the PS dies. 220V AC (Europe) will not do any good to the charger.

You know there are many manufacturers making these PS's some of them make good quality other worse. The one I modified seems to be one of those worse quality ones.

I had two friends who's PC died because of it's faulty PS. It fried the Motherboard, the CPU, the HD and some other stuff. I don't want something alike to happen to my charger.

Any comments, thoughts, experiences welcome,

Norbert
Old 05-13-2003, 09:59 PM
tdriver

I think you are right, this could be happened.
i have 2 modified PS,and you made me thinking........
maybe some sort of fuse would to the job?
someone with knowledge in electronics could give us an answer......

regards
Paris
Old 05-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Doc11
My Feedback: (59)

There should be a fuse in it, and that is all you should need. Doc.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:22 AM
norbique

Gentlemen,

I doubt a fuse is enough to save the charger from an AC shock. Even a fast fuse would be too slow to react.
But I agree that it's a lot better than nothing at all.

Norbert
Old 05-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Of the things to worry about with modeling and battery maintenance, PC power supplies modified for powering charger/cylers would be so far down on my list that it would not be noticed.

With the millions of computers using them the odds of one faulting and destroying the computer (or your charger) are minuscule.

I have seen nothing that indicates the failure mode in this type of supply is to apply raw AC to the load.

Now I will admit, with the questions I see frequently about how to hook up a simple battery, the thought of these same people trying to modify a PC supply is kind of scary.

But so is the thought of first time fliers going into the air with giant scale ARF planes with huge engines. I think I'll worry about that. :-) Or maybe CA fumes, or eye injuries from not wearing safety glasses when modeling or starting engines, or the effect of raw fuel on the skin, or skin cancer from too much sun, or . . . . another birthday closer to the statistical end of life.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:17 PM
Andrew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Over the years, I've cracked over 2000 boxes -- power supply failures are statistically insignificant. Generally, failures can be attributed to voltage spikes on the A/C side -- primarily due to lightening. Although the better PS are fused, I don't recall ever finding one blown.

Of the problems I have been able to identify, other than lightening, most are associated with leaking or blown capacitors -- there is documented evidence of an electrolyte formula that was stolen from Japan, sold to Taiwan and also used in mainland China. The formula was incorrect and has caused repercussions throughout the PC market in the past 12 months -- under heavy ripple loads, the capacitors will off-gas hydrogen, swell and leak. Until the problem was discovered, about 60 tons/month of the bad electrolyte was being produced -- that makes a lot of capacitors.

Interestingly, manufacturers' specs on electrolytics indicate a load life of 2000 to 5000 hours -- about 7 months continuous operation. This is probably conservative -- and is heavily influenced by load, temperature and ripple current -- simply because many of us have had computers running continuously for years.

Power supplies don't suddenly run amuck, turning components to junk, they usually just roll over and die. The conversion process, in a nutshell, involves a high frequency switching (> 20 KHz) using power conserative components and decouples the A/C -- hence the lack of a big power transformer. If a machine has had extensive damage, it almost always can be attributed to an external force.

I agree with Red -- you are more likely to have charger damage due to spilling coffee on it, knocking it off the table or having the family pet chew the leads in two.

Regards,

Andrew
Old 05-16-2003, 08:10 PM
norbique

Thank you all for your reply, my fear of using a PC PS to power the charger has faded away.

Regards,
Norbert