Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Lipo / Lion / A123 / or Stay with NiMH

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo / Lion / A123 / or Stay with NiMH

Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Fade2Black1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo / Lion / A123 / or Stay with NiMH

Ok guys... Looking for more information. I have searched and searched, and found plenty of info, but I want to get a full fledged opinion. I have always used NiMH in all of my planes, but I am thinking of moving to a diffrent chemestry, and need opinions. I will be moving up from the 90 and 120 size planes to 50 or 100cc at some point in the future.

Lipo.. dangerous but light, can fly for many hours on a 6v pack with my setups

Lion.. not much info here other than very simaller to lipo.

A123.. Last a long time 1000+ charges, a bit heavy, continuous 6v's, really quick charge, but certian chargers are needed? Any combination chargers?

At this point I am looking to do a 6v 1600-2000mah battery pack and will need a charger that can accomodate. I have a accucycle elite right now that can do up to 3 cell lipo's. Does it do A123?

I know this is a pretty vuage post, but any info would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
evdreamer

Default RE: Lipo / Lion / A123 / or Stay with NiMH

The accu-cycle charger won't do A123 batteries. Not all chargers charge A123 batteries, but Hyperion and TP chargers do. I don't know if all Hyperion and TP chargers charge A123, so you will need to double check. There are many more chargers capable of charging A123 cells, but I haven't looked into them. If you want to be able to charge A123 cells in 15min the charger needs the power to do so. You could also zip charge them. RCGroups has a huge thread on zip charging if you were interested.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM
everydayflyer

2S A123 2300 mAh . Charger FMA Cell Pro 4 which will balance charge a 2S at 4A or just over 30 minutes for a completely discharge pack. In receiver use you would not want top discharge over 1800-2000 mAh (approx. 6.0 volts) so recharge would be approx. 20 minutes.
Best place to purchase a 2S most likely radicalrc.com

Charles
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 AM
flatspinjim
My Feedback: (3)

I'm running 2 2300 A123 packs in my 35% Extra. After 4 10 minute flights I usually add 600 mah to top them off. I use the cell pro 4 and it takes about 15 minutes to charge. IMO these batteries are the only ones to use in the bigger planes. When you get into the higher torque servos it's nice to have the constant 6.6 volts and the amperage they put out is more than you'll ever need, but nice to have if you're doing a lot of snaps and radical manuvers.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Fade2Black1
My Feedback: (5)

hey all thanks for the info. It seems A123 is what alot of people are using and I think I may opt for that. Nimh seems fine, but I would luke long lasting batteries as well as quick charge. Lipo seems way to dangerous. Maybe a sterio type, but all the postedpictures as well as horror stories I have heard it making me shy away. I don't want my hobby causing my wood frame house to burn to a crisp, but most importatly, injure anyone.

Any pointers as to which manufacture and charger? I'm running decient servos in my 120 edge, 4x JR 8101, 1 DS821 fir throttle and JR 8411 on rudder. Can JR 2.4 receivers handle 6.6v without a reg?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:57 PM
JCINTEXAS

Hi flatspinjim,
I'm considering using the A123 6.6v 2300Mah battery for my 7C and 12FG FASST receivers.
This battery is rated at 6.6 volts and I've read that many fliers are using these batteries
without a regulator. I've been using 6 volt NiMH (5 cell) receiver batteries without a regulator.
On a fresh charge, the NiMH battery puts out 7 volts. I've had no problem using these.
So I'm thinking the 6.6 volt A123 would be OK.
I just want some assurance the unregulated 6.6 volts will be OK.
Am I taking a chance on damaging my receivers or servos?
Best Regards
JC